2012 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Oil/Change Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few questions reguarding a new Mustang currently at 2,500 miles.

1.)Im wondering if I should change the oil before its 10k miles recommended interval or change it before. I have been doing some reading and a lot of people say the original oil comes with additives for engine break in and should be left in there. This does not sit well with me leaving original oil in this long.

2.) What oil comes in the GT from the factory. I assume Motorcraft.... But Full syn? Syn blend? Conventional?

3.) Would it be bad to drive highway miles for approx 6 hours with the original oil at 2500 miles?

Thanks

Last edited:
There is not any motorcraft conventional in 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30 grades that meet current API/ISLAC specs. The GT has synblend as the factory fill. 10K on a Ford approved oil is very due-able but I do not recommend that on a factory fill and I do not recommend you attempt that without UOA's to back that recommendation up because everyone has different driving habits. Since you have nearly 2,500 miles on the factory fill right now is a good time to change. Use a motorcraft filter and a major brand API certified 5W20.

I would leave the FF in for at least 1/2 the recommended 10,000 mile change. I see no problem with a 2,500 mile highway drive. However; you should not use the cruse control and try to vary the speed often. Great vehicle. Ed

Does changing the oil yourself void Fords warranty?

Also, should it be changed with a full synthetic or a syn blend like the factory?

No.

No. Just a oil meeting Ford's specification. Ford does not specify anything special. Just use a name brand 5W20. Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Havoline, Castrol, Mobil, Formula Shell, Chevron, Motorcraft, Kendal, Trop-artic, and Supertech. Are brands you are likely going to find that meet or exceed Ford's specification.

Full syn or syn blend for the first change?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Neither synthetic or a blend is required. It just needs to meet Fords specification which all the oils I mentioned meet or exceed it. Use whatever you prefer.

I see. I'm just from the notion that a new motor should use conventional while being broken in, then switch to a synthetic after. Guess it's different for newer engines. I'm old school I guess lol

I'd have a hard time leaving the factory first fill oil in that engine for 10K!
Sure, we don't have to change the first fill at 500 miles anymore, but now or up to 5k is good.
Honda has some very special break in oil. I believe Ford uses their 'regular' Motorcraft syn blend.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I would leave the FF in for at least 1/2 the recommended 10,000 mile change. I see no problem with a 2,500 mile highway drive. However; you should not use the cruse control and try to vary the speed often. Great vehicle. Ed

My system on a new car has always been to change the oil the first time at half the recommended interval, then at the first recomended interval and the recommended intervals after that. My UOA's at 5000 miles show Motorcraft oil virtually identical to Mobil 1. Motorcraft is excellent oil for the money. If you're going to go the full 10k though, I would recommend a full synthetic. FWIW, I've gotten better UOA's with Pennzoil Platinum than Mobil 1 and it's also a little cheaper.

If it was my car I would change the factory fill at 5K & use a quality full Syn oil every 5K miles thereafter! I think going 10K
miles between oil chages is stupid on a performance car that begs to be driven!

Some of us might think it stupid to change the oil so often in a car with a huge sump capacity and a written factory specification.

Do you really think Ford didn't consider the OCI?

Agreed. 8.5 qt means it can probably do 10k. Ford doesn't do free oil changes on the Mustang so stretching that interval doesn't save THEM any money...if anything, it means they make less money on routine oil changes.

If you're in doubt, pull a sample at 7500 and see how it looks.

thanks for all the responses.

i have been doing some research at it seems there have been issues with a ticking with people that change their 5.0's engines early.

here a youtube vid of the infamous ticking. i guess there is a TSB out for this as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TeFix0OElw

opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back