your fav 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Smith & Wesson model 629 Hunter .44mag that shoots very tight groups with Samson JHPs and Remington any type. I get the worst performance (but still good) with the American Eagle FMJ's.

Not sure exactly what you were asking but I took it to mean what ammo works well.

I just got a model 29 with the 8 3/8" barrel. Furthest I shot it at so far is 25yds, does fantastic with the ol' iron sights. When I get the chance I'll see what I can do at 50yds and beyond.

I have the 4.2" ruger redhawk and love it. Its a tank but I carry it in a hand crafted simply rugged pancake holster no problem. As far as ammo, I make the best loads in terms of accuracy and potency
wink.gif

Gonna buck the trend with my ruger old army. Goin' after smaller boar (under 100 lbs.) with it using 35 grains of goex 3f and the heaviest conical I can stuff in the cylinder. I'd use the dragoon if it had better sights.

I haven't hunted in several years. My back is a mess (and after leaving work, choose not to get up early if I can help it).

But if I were going, and using a .44-

First I'd take the AutoMag, just to say I did it.

The Ruger 77/44 would be the most practical of the bunch.

The caliber isn't legal here, but I think it would be perfectly capable and would give me a really handy gun- that's my Ruger Blackhawk .44 Spl. I shoot it more than the others so I might do better with it anyway.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Love my S&W 629-1 8-3/8"

Me too! I got the Stainless steel "hunter" version that's factory drilled and tapped for a scope, has a SOLID cylinder (no fluts) for strength and some other small custom work all done by Smith & Wesson. Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back