Not open for further replies.
1995 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L
Lab: Oil Analyzer's Inc.
Oil: Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30
Oil Filter: EAO11
Sump Capacity: 5 quarts
Oil Miles/Time: 3,784 miles/14 months
Total Miles: 132,539

No make up oil added, no filter changes.
Oil was changed.

Iron - 17
Chromium - 1
Lead - 3
Copper - 7
Tin - 1
Aluminum - 1
Nickel - 1
Silver - 0
Silicon - 29
Boron - 6
Sodium - 16
Magnesium - 20
Calcium - 3818
Barium - 0
Phosphorous - 733
Zinc - 918
Molybdenum - 3
Titanium - 1
Vanadium - 0
Potassium - 49

Viscosity 100 C - 10.0
Fuel < 1%
Water = < .1% FTIR
Nitration - 15
Oxidation - 53
TBN - 5.47

Previous analysis:
Amsoil HDD 5w-30 - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=916411

After my last oil analysis I performed an Auto-RX clean and rinse cycle. Refilled with 1 gallon of Amsoil 0w-20 and 1 quart of Amsoil HDD 5w-30, but did not perform an analysis. Then did a Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30 oil change, but I didn't do an analysis either (regret not doing it because I went at least 8,000 miles that time).

When I changed the oil, I took the sample, then refilled with Super Tech oil, added the Amsoil Engine & Transmission Flush, and then changed the oil and filter. I let this drain for a couple of hours before refilling with Amsoil 0w-30 SSO.

I cleaned the throttle body and IAC Valve (which appears to be malfunctioning still).

They flagged the Silicon level, but several of the wear metals are lower. Potassium was flagged as well, but there is no moisture, wear metals are in good shape, viscosity is normal. Oxidation was also also flagged as moderately high.

With the increase in Sodium and Potassium, I am a little concerned, but I'll do another analysis after my next oil change.

Right now, there isn't anything major I see happening. Will trend analysis and go from there.

All comments are welcome.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
The iron and silicon tell me coolant leak. Still got the factory plastic intake manifold?

The '95 still had a alum intake...

Oil Changer,
TFB1 is correct, the 1995 model had an aluminum intake.

Donald,
I thought OAI did glycol readings as well but I didn't see it anywhere on the report.

I began having an external coolant leak at the rear of the engine. At first I suspected the heater hose that runs underneath the intake, but I replaced it by routing some hose from underneath the manifold, so I never removed the intake manifold.

Once I got done, I refilled and drove around and it is still leaking from the rear of the engine.

Could an intake manifold gasket leak on these engines cause a chance for coolant and oil to come in contact with each other?

The coolant had a brownish tint to it and had some gunk in it too.

The 4.6/5.4 are somewhat known to blow head gaskets externally on the right head on the back. Depending on what blows out exactly, it can leak oil or coolant. That could be whats happening here. Take a light and mirror and check out the back side of the head there and see whats going on.

There is a Dorman kit from Advance. I installed one on my sister's GM three years ago and it has held just fine ever since and is pushing towards 300K miles as I type!

I have had luck putting in UV dye and using a UV light at night to pinpoint leaks with oil and coolant issues. Maybe it could work for your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back