Bridgestone Turanza Serentity Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored]!! Bought these tires because the Potenza 960 AS Pole Position have been discontinued. Looked forward to getting another set of high quality tires made either in the USA or Japan. Guess what? These [censored] are made in Thailand. And, to make it worse, they are a new design. Hope I am wrong, but I am not optimistic about the quality of these tires.

wifey's camry just packed a set of Turanza with serenity (Jpn made) about 5 mnths ago and we've been in-luv with them: quiet and well-command on the road and different road conditions, a bit quieter (approx 7~10% better than the Tiger Paw touring we had before)...no perceivable fuel savings so far but then again: I'm not leaning towards LRR (I currently have LRR on my fit and it's ok, not glorious).

I wouldn't necessarily dissed Thailand cast Bridgestones at this given moment, citing that any facilities and manufacturing plants recently constructed in Thailand are practically "new", with new equipments and machines, etc. and not some "recycled" firestone stuff...so it should be better than those I bought that were casted in Brazil....

just a thought.

Q.

The 960 was replaced by the 970. Why didn't you just get these?

Turanza Serenity Plus is in a completely different category. It's a grand touring tire and not UHP like the 960/970. Is this what you really wanted?

By the way, my 960s were made in Mexico and I haven't had any problems with them due to this fact.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The 960 was replaced by the 970. Why didn't you just get these?

Turanza Serenity Plus is in a completely different category. It's a grand touring tire and not UHP like the 960/970. Is this what you really wanted?

By the way, my 960s were made in Mexico and I haven't had any problems with them due to this fact.

970's are not made in my size. Went with Serentity Plus based on discussion with Bridgestone Tech Center. Not sure I really understand the difference between grand touring and UHP.

What size are we talking about here?

In general, UHP tires provide more dry/wet grip and better steering response. Grand touring tires on the other hand are typically more comfortable, quiet, and longer lasting. Serenity Plus is in addition rated LRR (low rolling resistance), so it can potentially improve MPG.

205-65-15. I am a 63 year old slow driver with a 99 Toyota Avalon. Do about 5k miles per year, mostly around town. Major concerns are wet traction, noise and wear. Bridgestone felt wet traction with Serentity Plus will be equal to my old 960's.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
205-65-15. I am a 63 year old slow driver with a 99 Toyota Avalon. Do about 5k miles per year, mostly around town.

Oh yeah, you don't need 960s.
smile.gif

Google 'Bridgestone Tire Advisor' it will ask for your car info and then your top three performance parameters. It will give you a list in your size according to your priorities. One of the best tire tools on the net.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Google 'Bridgestone Tire Advisor' it will ask for your car info and then your top three performance parameters. It will give you a list in your size according to your priorities. One of the best tire tools on the net.

Yep, it takes me to Serentity Plus. BTW, Bridgestone told me they have had their plant in Thailand for 14-15 years and all Serentity Plus tires will be made there.

Last edited:
BTW, Bridgestone told me they have had their plant in Thailand for 14-15 years and all Serentity Plus tires will be made there.

According to the specs on TireRack, Serenity Plus in certain sizes is also made in Indonesia.

I had Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z and now Turanza Serenity. Both tires are quiet and comfortable and was made in Japan. The new version Serenity Plus is less expensive and are LRR, which is suppose to inprove fuel economy. Give them some time before making your judgement on these new tires.

Having had the Potenza 960's I know what a great tire this was. The 970 isn't available in 195/65/15, so I too will need to look elsewhere when the time arises. I don't think you made bad choice especially considering the car/miles and driving style. I wouldn't worry too much about where the tires were made, rather when they were made. Report back w/long term impressions of the Serenity.

My wife was made in Thailand and I am definitely impressed with the quality. On top of that, after all these years, very little wear has shown.

In all seriousness, Thailand is an automotive manufacturing hub for SEAsia. The great majority of compact pickup trucks in the world are made there. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the quality, especially from a multinational brand.

I am definitely interested in your opinions as these break in...

Last edited:
[censored]!! Bought these tires because the Potenza 960 AS Pole Position have been discontinued. Looked forward to getting another set of high quality tires made either in the USA or Japan. Guess what? These [censored] are made in Thailand. And, to make it worse, they are a new design. Hope I am wrong, but I am not optimistic about the quality of these tires.

As stated, the new Serenity Plus is wickedly expensive. And it's a totally different tire type from the RE series. The former is a GT design; the latter a stickier less comfortable and less-lasting UHP.

To give you an idea, the Serenity line competes with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. It is a very good all-around tire, but with an emphasis on comfort and treadlife. All the things that the RE series is not. The RE will stop, corner and track better than a Serenity.

If you don't like the Serenities and are within the trial period, you should be able to swap them out for another B-Stone tire set. And whoever at the "tech center" steered you from REs to Serenities did not know what they were talking about. These two are VERY different tires.

BTW, the new RE970 is a REALLY good tire. Way better than the 960 from the initial user reports. I have a set of 970s and can vouch that they are excellent.

I wouldn't worry too much about country of origin if it is from a major maker, even though we all have our biases (even me - I prefer US made when possible and won't buy ANY tire from China). But sometimes the size locks you into that.

205-65-15. I am a 63 year old slow driver with a 99 Toyota Avalon. Do about 5k miles per year, mostly around town. Major concerns are wet traction, noise and wear. Bridgestone felt wet traction with Serentity Plus will be equal to my old 960's.

Missed your vehicle.

On an Avalon . . . you're fine.

Stick with a GT tire - it's a better fit for that car. Serenity or Primacy are perfect for that ride. RE or PS series rubber is wasted on that chassis anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back