BMW 7 series puff of white smoke only at start up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It depends on WHEN... see the smoke at actual ignition? Then it's usually oil.

Need to wait a few minutes? Figure moisture.

If that engine has very many miles it'll have a ton of oil and residues in the intake manifold. This can mimic valve seal issues.

Don't be fooled.

Interesting point about oil in the manifold [common], but this would flow and burn all the time, not just at start up.

Just depends on the manifold design. Since most are not heated and the mfgr's know about the oil issues they allow for it to pool somewhere. Enough of it does flow all the time to keep it from overflowing, but if the car is flogged a bit this never happens. It's only 'city cars' that get this issue to a point where it can cause a noticeable problem.

Needs a good run up to 140 or so! Send me the keys.

The BMW 740iL is in the shop and he hopes to have it back tomorrow in the afternoon. About 315.00 for the PCV system replacement and 885.00 for the A/C work. A/C was working intermittently. An interior fan and a exterior fan which is accessed by removing the front bumper. 1200.00 total. He goes on a long trip this weekend and will need the A/C.

Well, my friend with the BMW 740 got it back and, of course, I hear nothing. I finally Email him and ask the outcome to learn what the mechanic really found wrong. His terse response: "Runs good, bill just north of $1200.00". Always very unsatisfying to get involved and then not find out the final solution to the problem! Well, I was wrong because I was so sure it was a 'valve stem seal' problem from my past experience with American cars. It is good to have specialized shops in brands such as BMW where the cost of labor and parts are ridiculously high at the dealership. I still can't get over a 315.00 PCV system!

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
Well, my friend with the BMW 740 got it back and, of course, I hear nothing. I finally Email him and ask the outcome to learn what the mechanic really found wrong. His terse response: "Runs good, bill just north of $1200.00". Always very unsatisfying to get involved and then not find out the final solution to the problem! Well, I was wrong because I was so sure it was a 'valve stem seal' problem from my past experience with American cars. It is good to have specialized shops in brands such as BMW where the cost of labor and parts are ridiculously high at the dealership. I still can't get over a 315.00 PCV system!

You are thinking it is all part costs. The mechanic doesn't get paid for labor? Of course he does. The PCV valve problem is diagnosis. Parts are wholesale for the mechanic. It sounds like a lot but considering the car-7series. He actually is probably glad he got off lucky. He knows it too.

I looked up on the internet in one of those Bavarian auto parts and found the PCV 'kit' for that car and it was 70.00. That did not include seven Torx screws that they advised you get because they would strip.
Another friend with a five series with a 4.4 L V8 just e mailed me that his dealer wanted 300.00 for a new fan belt. He says the local auto parts store has the belt for 30.00. Does that mean there is a 2.7 hour labor install?

This is just like when i was a kid. We had a Datsun 510 wagon and a Firebird at the time. Same amount of oil, but two wildly different prices!

The FB was new. So the 'flashy' car got a much higher price for service.

This is one of the reasons I learned to DIY. I have owned a few BMW's and IME the parts were ridiculous and the stealership was simply out of the question.

Man, I read threads like this and I am reminded why I've only owned one BMW ('98 540i) and only kept that one long enough to pay it off and sell it (2.5 years). Mine was mechanically sound, but was riddled with electrical issues. Cars like BMWs and Audis are just too complicated and too high maintenance for anyone's good other than the dealer or your mechanic.
This is totally my opinion, but probably the best way to get one of these cars is to lease it, let the dealer do all of the maintenance and then give it back to them after 3 years. Let it be someone else's money pit when its out of warranty and starts needing $300+ PCVs (!). Again, just my 2 Krugerrand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back