Newer Grand Caravan vs. Older Sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a budget of $20k that we plan to finance over 60 months. I've found that I can get a Certified 2011 GC under 40k miles. For the Certified Siennas, I've found 2009s with under 75k miles.
Here's my dilemma:
The Sienna gets high marks for dependability and is top-rated with JD Power. The GC doesn't score too well with dependability. It was just on Yahoo's list of vehicles to avoid as well. I use these as guides and realize they can be subjective.
Being the family vehicle I want Certified van with warranty. The GC is 'less dependable,' but will be warrantied longer. The Sienna is the opposite. Both would have a 7/100 warranty from date of first use.
Of these two which would you buy and why?

4 years ago, we gave away our 1999 GC with 186,000 miles on it...electrical gremlins...but it ran perfectly, on its original trans...no rust, no major issues...we saw it at the gas station the other day...no telling how many miles are on it now.

Clearly, any vehicle will last if properly maintained.

That said, we have had good luck with Toyotas. The Corolla has nearly 100K on it, for example, but even that car has required repair (as well as regular maintenance).

Were it my $$, I would go with the slightly older Toyota....but in your part of the country, where rust is an issue, newer might be a better bet - less salt.

Regardless of what you choose, as soon as you get it, go over it with a fine tooth comb and change every fluid, clean/detail every bit of it to address paint chips and other minor damage that will cost in the long run.

I'd only get a Caravan if it was the newer ones, the 08 and up era before the redesign was probably their worst Caravan offering ever. Super shotty build quality those years. My cousin has a brand new 2012 and it is an excellent vehicle. He loves it.

I can say this also, the Sienna has gone the way of the previous Caravan. We have one at work as a company vehicle and the thing echos inside it's so full of rock hard plastic, it's just awful.

If not able to get a brand new Caravan, I'd go with the Sienna if it were me.

How long do you plan to keep it? (honestly)

Had an 11 year old caravan where the solder was starting to crack in the ECM and other major systems. Van is stymied without everything happily chatting over its bus.

I'd get the dodge if you're going to run it to the end of its warranty then trade.

There's no stripper new $20k van anymore? Better finance rate on new cars might help. I know the warranty is worse than CPO but you could get a kia.

The 2011 GCs have a really nice powertrain....6 speed trans and a 285hp 3.6L V6. We really like ours. No issues so far- about 26K miles.

Take the 20k, buy the lowest end one you can. I'll bet a new sienna or tc will be about 23k. Don't finance a used car, the deals are the worst.

Sienna, look for deals, dealer demos etc.
U can get a sienna 28k for 24k.
Do x2 for getting a low end sienna.

Mine has 100k, rear hatch shocks were the only issue.
Did a 5 k syn oci.

Not enough information to do the math, but I would go with the GC if it were not a 'program' (i.e. rental) car. 60,000 miles and 6 years of warranty left. Really nice vehicle. But if it were a rental car with 40k miles, that would give me pause. People that rent minivans tend to load them with lots of people and stuff so they tend to get a work out. Rather buy one that was used by a soccer mom.

I'd go with the Sienna, I've had a GC before and that thing was a nightmare. Also,the Pentastar engines are having a ticking issue, IMHO, that isn't acceptable.

agreed on skipping the 2008 - 2010 grand caravan. terrible build quality, and outdated powertrain. i would say go lower on a 05-07 town and country. .

Originally Posted By: Burt
Not enough information to do the math, but I would go with the GC if it were not a 'program' (i.e. rental) car. 60,000 miles and 6 years of warranty left. Really nice vehicle. But if it were a rental car with 40k miles, that would give me pause. People that rent minivans tend to load them with lots of people and stuff so they tend to get a work out. Rather buy one that was used by a soccer mom.

Based on how I've seen a lot of "soccer moms" drive you'd rescind that statement. They only WOT or idle, no in between.

At least a rental company it is guaranteed maintenance by the manuf. schedule not the mom's.

FIL just bought a rental brought back to the local dodge dealer after they were done with it. At 33k it was certified and such and seems like a decent vehicle so far. I will say that due to the routing of the exhaust due to the stow & go seating the 3.6l Pentastar has quite the rumble.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Originally Posted By: Burt

Based on how I've seen a lot of "soccer moms" drive you'd rescind that statement. They only WOT or idle, no in between.

At least a rental company it is guaranteed maintenance by the manuf. schedule not the mom's.

FIL just bought a rental brought back to the local dodge dealer after they were done with it. At 33k it was certified and such and seems like a decent vehicle so far. I will say that due to the routing of the exhaust due to the stow & go seating the 3.6l Pentastar has quite the rumble.

Yeah, some soccer moms think the gas pedal is a on/off switch.

Should have clarified...the $20k budget includes tax, tiled, fees, etc. The purchase price I'm looking at is around $18,500 Definitely looking at 2011+ GC. I may be smarter to budget a way to buy new for few thousand more and get 0%.

I like to maintain my vehicle well and drive as long as possible. We need a van to fit the fam. We've always paid loans that have interest off ealy. We get 2.99% financing for 60 months on 08+.
I prefer Toyota's and love my 05 Corolla! I'd get new Sienna in heartbeat but that'd be out of our budget.

I want to stay in a mid-grade model, not stripped, but not all the bells and whistles we don't need.

Originally Posted By: XtraRevsSurely
Should have clarified...the $20k budget includes tax, tiled, fees, etc. The purchase price I'm looking at is around $18,500 Definitely looking at 2011+ GC. I may be smarter to budget a way to buy new for few thousand more and get 0%.

I like to maintain my vehicle well and drive as long as possible. We need a van to fit the fam. We've always paid loans that have interest off ealy. We get 2.99% financing for 60 months on 08+.
I prefer Toyota's and love my 05 Corolla! I'd get new Sienna in heartbeat but that'd be out of our budget.

I want to stay in a mid-grade model, not stripped, but not all the bells and whistles we don't need.

If you want to drive the van as long as possible, I strongly urge you to look at a used Sienna.

The Grand Caravan is just not built up to par, too many issues.

In the end though it's your money, and you have to drive it everyday, so pick what you are comfortable with.

I would recommend a 2008+ Sienna with the 3.5L 2GR-FE engine. I've had a few Chrysler minivans. They're okay, but for the money you're looking to spend (ie, not a 2011 or 2012 model), you're not going to get a lot of refinement, and reliability and build quality will be questionable. If you do like the Chrysler vans, I would recommend a 4th generation one (2001-2007), but here again, reliability can be hit-and-miss. We had a good 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan and a lemon of a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country. Luck of the draw I guess.

When we had our two Mopar minis, I helped moderate a Chrysler minivan fan club forum. I think your odds are better with a different brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back