Which states still have tailpipe sniffer test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe CA measures idle and 2500rpm actual tailpipe emissions. I do not know any other state which measures tailpipe emissions on post 1996 i.e. OBD-II cars.

I know (by observation or from inference) that the following state do NOT have tailpipe sniffer for OBD-II vehicles. Please add yours to the list.

MA
NY
NH
MO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I believe CA measures idle and 2500rpm actual tailpipe emissions. I do not know any other state which measures tailpipe emissions on post 1996 i.e. OBD-II cars.

I know (by observation or from inference) that the following state do NOT have tailpipe sniffer for OBD-II vehicles. Please add yours to the list.

MA
NY
NH
MO

For Ca. it depends on the county/area you are in. For my area they measure at 15 MPH and 25 MPH on most cars. I just had both my Mercury and Toyota smogged last winter.
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Engineering/Program_Map.pdf

Last edited:
CA does 15mph and 25mph rolling dyno tests.
Plus, you get to pay double to go to a "test only" station if your car is over 10 years old.
1976 and later has to be tested. Don't pass, you become a gross polluter and cannot ever sell the car, except to the junkyard.

My car is about the same RPM at 15 and 25rpm, due to 4th gear upshift in the automatic.

Certain areas in Ohio has it,They just added a certain name oil change place (to do testings ),, and self test locations also

No sniffer test for new cars in CA at least:

" Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. "

Too bad I don't own anything that new!

Texas does in the high density population counties: Bexar, Dallas, El Paso, Harris, Tarrant, Travis...etc... and the counties surrounding those.

But if you have an OBDII car they just plug in. '95 and prior get tailpipe tested on a dyno.

There are all kinds of waivers. If you fail the test and are below the poverty level, you are given a one year extension to repair the vehicle. If you drive less than 5000 miles a year and you have spent at least $100 on repairs you can get a waiver

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I believe CA measures idle and 2500rpm actual tailpipe emissions. I do not know any other state which measures tailpipe emissions on post 1996 i.e. OBD-II cars. ...

The Front Range counties of Colorado have a full I/M 240 dyno test for '82 and newer vehicles, even on OBD-II cars. The OBD-II results and MIL are considered advisory only.

http://aircarecolorado.com/about-the-test/

My buddy in Denver hates it. He tries to pass via the "drive-by" mobile screening vans: http://aircarecolorado.com/locations-and-maps/truck-locations/

Maine: Nope. One county gets an OBDII scan and gas cap pressure test. All the cars that won't pass NH or MA OBDII wind up here.

There was a brief tailpipe sniff test that failed miserably in the mid 1990s, and our registration slips still have a box related to this fiasco.

One needs a catalytic converter in every county on post 1982 cars but if it holds smoke you pass.

Originally Posted By: spackard
CA does 15mph and 25mph rolling dyno tests.
Plus, you get to pay double to go to a "test only" station if your car is over 10 years old.
1976 and later has to be tested. Don't pass, you become a gross polluter and cannot ever sell the car, except to the junkyard.

My car is about the same RPM at 15 and 25rpm, due to 4th gear upshift in the automatic.

I think the "craigslist" price is only around $10 more for pre OBDII (1996 and earlier).

Post 96 are usually around $32 out the door on craigslist.

so far CA and CO are the only two state have been reported where *currently* sniffer test is done on OBD-II cars. What about WA or OR? All the greenies live there, so they might be stringent too!

unless iam missing all the fun Kansas has no testing right now. i stared driving in this state in 1965, we had some inspecting in the mid 70s it went over like a lead balloon, and was soon stopped.

OBD only in Missouri, and that's only for certain counties. Most don't require any "emissions" testing.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
One needs a catalytic converter in every county on post 1982 cars but if it holds smoke you pass.

One needs a catalytic converter if your car originally came with one, regardless of where you live. Emissions equipment is covered by the Clean Air Act; that's federal legislation and no state has the authority to make it less stringent (ie, not applicable to certain cars, certain years, etc).

Some believe (not saying that you do) that if you don't happen to have emissions testing that you can remove a catalytic converter. You physically CAN, and you may not be caught...but that's a federal offense regardless of where you live.

Non-attainment areas in Virginia used to have an I/M 240 test, but I'm not sure if they still do. Non-attainment areas in North Carolina simply have the ODB-II plug-in test, which I think is completely useless. I think if they want to improve air quality, do a sniff test. If they don't care enough, then don't do anything at all, because the OBD-II check can be easily faked and doesn't guarantee any measure of air quality.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
N Mexico has NO emissions test...no State vehicle inspection of any kind.

I bet 5 month`s after I would move there, they`d have it. That`s the story of my life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back