Whats a good fire arm for home protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife absolutely hates being home by herself (well, without me anyways, we have an 8yr. old son). I usually get sent to michigan about once every other year for training for my job, but this year they are sending me 3times and she has finally decided she wants to have a firearm around for protection. My question is, what is a good, reasonable quality fire arm that will do the job? I've shot 22 rifles back in my boyscout days, but other than that, I've never really gotten into guns. She has shot higher powered rifles in her past, but again, she doesn't have much experience either. I told her, if we do this, we're taking a safety course when we get it. We bought our son a bb gun for his 8th birthday as he seems to be really interested in guns, so I figured rather than try and keep him away from them and have him defy us and find ways to go shooting anyways and possible hurt himself or others, we were better off starting him out with one of those and teaching him how to be safe and take care of a gun. Anyways, my wife has really taken a liking to target shooting with him and she is actually a pretty good shot, so theres a possibility that what ever we get, she might want to take it to the range once in awhile. My brother was really into handguns back before he got married and bought a house and had to sell all his off, so we might get into shooting with him. I believe she has been looking at a Ruger LCP in pink ( I know, I know, but shes the one that really wants it
grin.gif
) Not sure if thats the exact model, but I do know its a Ruger. That was a bit long winded I guess, hope you guys can lead me in the right direction though. Thanks.

I like a short pump shotgun. A pistol is easier to keep with you room to room at night. The lcp is a neat gun. I have one, keep in mind it is double action only and has no safety. Its really a carry gun, i would not want to have that around children off person, you can't lay it down even once in a house with children. A finger combination lockbox is a must with children in the house. To sum it up, a pump shotgun, pistol wise a ruger p series ( p95/p345/p90) will work as will a glock.

Last edited:
Go hit some local gun shops and have her "feel" some of the pistols and see what she feels comfortable with. Nice ranges also have guns you can rent and try out. 9mm is a pretty comfortable round to shoot and probably what I would be looking for. It doesn't have to be a super sub compact (more felt recoil likely) so just see what she likes the feel of.

I find a nice, underripe potato to be a nice less-than-lethal weapon.

But seriously, go to a store and look around. We don't know what you need mainly because we can't see you in person.

Last edited:
The best gun is the one both of you will PRACTICE, PRACTICE, AND PRACTICE with now and forever!!! Most experts will say that a long-gun ( minimum barrel length of 16") is easier to aim than a pistol. In my thinking, you will be within 8 feet of an intruder. You will need a gun that is ready instantly and doesn't require lots of thinking. That means a revolver. You only have 6 shots; but at short distance if you don't put the bad guy down with one or two, you'll be wrestling him anyway.
As far as how to introduce the idea of a gun in your house to your son, I strongly recommend Kathy Jackson's website: .

There is much to consider when you think about having a tool that can end a life very quickly. (BTW, I get nothing but satisfaction by promoting Kathy's site. It's much more than about guns per se; it's the mind set that matters more.)
You are 100% on target with getting professional training. It will make you a safer gun-owner, and who knows?! You may find yourself a brand new hobby.
If you shoot a lot, you'll want to know how to reduce your costs; that's called reloading.
In any case, a Ruger is an excellent use of your money, but I suggest you look for a used SP-101 3" barrel. I have two revolvers and they are as reliable as a hammer and just as rugged.
PM me if you'd like more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
She needs something she's comfortable with. If she is a good shot with a rifle, I recommend one of the numerous pistol caliber carbines.

(relatively) Cheap to practice with
Easy to aim and fire accurately
Short and handy
Most take hi-capacity pistol magazines

Heck even a Ruger 10/22 would be an effective HD weapon with a Butler Creek 25-round magazine. Would YOU want to face someone with 25 CCI Stingers loaded and ready? Me either.

Many will tell you a rifle means she will not have her hand free to open doors etc. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. Your wife is not going to be room-clearing. She will be holed up in the bedroom with the kid, on the phone with the cops. Anyone entering the bedroom does so at their peril, but in the event of a break in she should STAY PUT and wait for the cavalry.

A 20 gauge shotgun. point and shoot, if you (or she) are awakend in the middle of the night, it doesn't require accurate aiming. If she can handle a 16, even better. Good luck.

I'd go for a 9mm semi-auto, a .38 revolver (no thinking required, just squeeze the trigger), or a shotgun. agree with a 410 or 20 gauge. no need for a 12.

and you have to be very familiar and comfortable with it.

I have an uncle who woke up to find an intruder in his bedroom - the racking of the shotgun was all it took to drop the guy to his knees

Rossi R92 lever action in .357 magnum with 16" barrel. 8 round capacity. It's a .357 magnum on steroids without any kick.

A HD Remington 870 matte black 5 shot 12 gauge. Go to the range an shoot clays. Rent a 12 gauge for her first, see if she can shoot it comfortably. If she doesn't like it, look at the Remington 870 youth 20 gauge. Go to the range and get her familiar with it.

Nasty dog and pepper spray. Shoot that anywhere near the intruder, hes gone or down gasping. Works good, been there.

I vote for a 20 gauge 870 youth model. I have had one since I was a kid, it is nice and compact. I am 30 years old and 5'6" tall it still fits me well, I feel it is easier for me to shoulder than a full size stock. If you remove the magazine plug it will hold 5 rounds, I am not sure if it will hold 5 3" magnums I will have to check.

A dog and a 20ga. Go to the animal shelter and adopt a nice mutt with a good bark. You'll be giving your wife a protective companion and doing a good deed giving a homeless pup a place to live.

Pink guns can be mistaken for a toy. Bad choice. If she doesn't want a scattergun, a S&W revolver with .38 +P rounds is fine. Double action, and all she needs to do is point and shoot.

Oh, and make sure she knows if you're coming home early.

.357 mag short barreled revolver 125 grain hollow point, very hard hitting with medium recoil. I believe that is the deadliest one shot round in studies of shootings

If you are going to go with a handgun, try to find a gun shop with a range that will let you try them before you buy.

I have a Ruger LCP and it's nice and compact and very easy to carry concealed, but not really a fun pistol to shoot. My wife HATES it and has a difficult time shooting it. She's deadly accurate with a Glock 23 (mid size, .40 S&W), however, and really likes that one.

You need to find something your wife likes and is comfortable and confident shooting. Everyone is different so it's tough to recommend something.

Revolvers are always a good choice for new shooters. They are simple and reliable.

I have a collection of guns. The scatters are my favorite. I have the HD Remington 870 12 gauge at my bedside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back