peak full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going into my Cruze, and I'll give a totally subjective "butt dyno" report on how the Cruze's 1.4T likes it. Likely I'll run it to 30% on the OLM since it's still full syn dexos1 oil, but is reputed to have a weaker additive package.

Although, considering the cost after rebate, I'll change it a little sooner.

I have ran Peak Synthetic 5w20 and 5w30 numerous times in my truck, out to 7500OCI with no bad effects, the oil came out not even really dark, lighter than some

Old World Industries blend Peak Performance Conventionals, Peak Performance Synthetic Blends, and Peak Performance Synthetics.

Quaker State blends Peak Performance Conventionals and Peak Performance synthetic blends in PCMO's.

So it depends on the region you are in.

Originally Posted By: Aerojoe
how is it thinner then other oils isn't a 5w30 a 5w30??

I believe the kinematic viscosity range for 5W30 is something like 9.3-12cst, which is a pretty broad range.

Someone posted a VOA for Peak Synthetic 0W20 here and it didn't look that good, with kinematic viscosity being below 8cst and old initial TBN. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is enough information to judge other Peak synthetic grades. For now, I'd cautiously agree with some poster that Valvoline Maxlife NextGen is probably just as good.

I was picking up 2 more jugs today and noticed only the 5w30 is dexos approved. I wonder if they make that to a higher standard to meet the dexos requirments then the other grades????

Originally Posted By: Aerojoe
I was picking up 2 more jugs today and noticed only the 5w30 is dexos approved. I wonder if they make that to a higher standard to meet the dexos requirments then the other grades????

Dexos is only applied to 5w-30 because its the only weight GM licenses for the spec

Except for the 5w-20, 0w-20, and 0w-30 grades on the list, now. I thought the first 5w-20 dexos1 was a typo, but it's not. The list has grown to include several, and I've actually seen Castrol Syntec 5w-20 with a dexos1 logo here.

I just changed the Cruze's oil with the Peak Synthetic in 5w-30 flavor. The bottle was sealed nicely, and was easy to pour out of. It looked a little on the thin side pouring out. It didn't have any funny odors or colors.

Now for the all-important "derriere dyno" report! It felt no different than the QSUD 5w-30 that came out. No odd noises, no increase in valve noise or anything fun like that. Total snooze.

If Advance is running this rebate again in 4-6 months when it needs to be changed again, I'll run it again and grab a UOA on the second fill.

I know this is an old thread, but i'm curious if anyone has *recently used PEAK Full Synthetic Oil in either 5W30 or 5W20 ... If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back