STP stop leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change my oil this weekend...I want to try something I can find locally for my somewhat minor rear main leak. Anybody ever try STP stop leak? It's only 3 bucks...does it have any effect?

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
I'm going to change my oil this weekend...I want to try something I can find locally for my somewhat minor rear main leak. Anybody ever try STP stop leak? It's only 3 bucks...does it have any effect?

can you bump up to a heavier oil?

I'm also going to try 10w40, might help a little but I don't think it will stop my leak.

On a leaky 85 toyo cressida, it was leaking with 5w30, pretty nice puddle every morning. I used 10w40 and the leak has been reduced to about a dime drop or so.

Alright, I tried some, and it didn't seem to help. The instructions say to put it in and run the engine for 15 minutes, then change the oil. It also says it can take up to 1000 miles to stop the leak. How the heck can it still be working for the next 1000 miles if I drained it out??
confused.gif

Also - the thicker 10w40 doesn't seem to have helped either.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Alright, I tried some, and it didn't seem to help. The instructions say to put it in and run the engine for 15 minutes, then change the oil. It also says it can take up to 1000 miles to stop the leak. How the heck can it still be working for the next 1000 miles if I drained it out??
confused.gif

rolleyes.gif

Sorry, ZmOz, but I don't know your "case history"...what kind of vehicle and what is the cause of the oil usage??

I don't know what the temperatures are like where you live, but I don't put much stock into the oil additives...much can be solved with a change to a different oil.

Have you considered one of the HDEO 15w-40's. I noticed the greatest reduction in oil consumption after I switched to Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40, and this is even after running Rotella-T and Delo in the same engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

confused.gif

rolleyes.gif

Sorry, ZmOz, but I don't know your "case history"...what kind of vehicle and what is the cause of the oil usage??

I don't know what the temperatures are like where you live, but I don't put much stock into the oil additives...much can be solved with a change to a different oil.

Have you considered one of the HDEO 15w-40's. I noticed the greatest reduction in oil consumption after I switched to Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40, and this is even after running Rotella-T and Delo in the same engine.

It's a Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6, and the oil is leaking from the rear main seal. I didn't have too much hope that it would work either, but it was only 3 bucks. I'm just wondering how they can say it takes up to 1000 miles to work, when you drain it out before that 1000 miles?? As for the 15w-40, isn't that a little too thick for an engine that calls for 10w30?

How many miles on the vehicle?? What kind of oil have you been using in it??

On some vehicles, yes, 15w-40 is a little thick...on some vehicles, no. A 4.0 I-6 you say...heck, that thing might actually do better on a 40-weight!

As long as it's not too cold where you're at, I'm definitely recommending a 15w-40 to you...namely Pennzoil Long-Life, simply because of it's ability to reduce leaks in my ride. Also, it has a good base oil and additive package as a plus.

If it is ubercold there, I'll suggest Rotella-T 5w-40.

Both are available at Wal-Mart: Pennz. is $6/gallon and Rotella is $12/gallon.

[ December 08, 2003, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

It's got 99k on it, and the former owner really abused it. It's had 10w30 all it's life, and I just tried 10w40. Right now in the winter around here it's about 25-50 degrees...but usually no lower than 35.

quote:

It's got 99k on it, and the former owner really abused it. It's had 10w30 all it's life, and I just tried 10w40. Right now in the winter around here it's about 25-50 degrees...but usually no lower than 35.

Yeah, if it doesn't usually drop below 35, you should be absolutely fine with a 15w-40. Take a pick:

Delo 400
Delvac 1300
Pennz. Long-Life

All are "great" oils, but like I've previously mentioned, the Pennzoil Long-Life has the uncanny ability to reduce consumption, at least in the few machines I've tried it in so far:

My pickup (Hard-workin' 1500 Chevy w/4.3L)
Ol' Ford Tractor
20hp V-Twin Briggs Riding Mower

All three have had their oil consumption drop significantly since the change over to LL...and I don't know why either!

And, no, despite what Friendly says, I'm not, I repeat, not a salesman for Pennz...it's just been workin' good for me...but I did just change the oil in my dad's Dodge/CTD and used Delo!

I guess I'll have to try it then!
smile.gif
I also have a tapping noise...maybe it will quiet that a little bit too.

quote:

I guess I'll have to try it then!
smile.gif
I also have a tapping noise...maybe it will quiet that a little bit too.

I think every jeep 4.0 I have ever heard run had some sort of tap.

Alright, it's been about 120 miles since I put in the stop leak. I haven't added any oil for the last 60 miles or so. Guess what?? IT'S STILL FULL!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
It's only down about 1/16" on the dipstick. Before this stuff I would have been down at least a quart...if not more. Not bad for 3 bucks!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back