Which ATF for a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am on vacation with my family, I am trying to help my brother with his sorely neglected 95 Nissan Pathfinder. He doesn't know the last time it was changed, which makes me worried but more determined to help him change it while I'm here.

I'm finding different advice on the net about what fluid I should use: some say any Dexron III equivalent or better, others say only Nissan J Matic fluid.

Thoughts?

~ $18 a gallon, AAP in store or Wally online home delivery.

8150020_vlv_vv322_pri_larg.jpg

MaxLife is a good choice. Approximate drain and fill capacity is 4 quarts if I recall correctly. Be sure to measure drained amount before refilling. Drain plug torque is 22 - 29 ft lbs. Use a new crush washer if one is present.

You need to change the filter if it has one. And then do a complete fluid exchange. You can do a bunch of drain & fills but that is not really a cost effective way to to a complete fluid exchange.

Have your brother spring for Amsoil. It will be at your house in 2 days. And its the best (or one of) ATF out there. If its doubtful he will again change it anytime soon, then Amsoil is the way to go. The ATF goes for 50K severe and 100K normal service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back