10K miles on Toyota 0w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes Camry recently had the last of its free oil changes at 25K miles. Its been going in every 5K and getting Castrol's Syntec Blend 5w-20.

I'm really not looking forward to changing the oil in her Camry,and am leaning towards letting the dealer continue to change it.

For $52 they'll change it with the 5w-20 blend. For an extra $10 they use synthetic 0w-20.

IIRC the 2012 Camry now has a 10K OCI with 0w-20,vs the 5k mile OCI on the 2011.

Any reason I should continue with the 5w-20 at 5K as opposed to the 0w-20 at 10K?

Well, you could easily save 30$ or more if you do it yourself.

And it will be done right.

1 Litre of 0W20 from Toyota is 5.75$, and you could probably get a Wix filter in the States for under 7$.

And besides, you'd be be making the wife happy and have some time to have a few cold ones and relax while doing it... Taking a car to the dealer and waiting is a lot more trouble in my opinion.

Most people here can change their oil in less than 30 mins, I take my time because I usually can't wait to do it again, but that's me.

Her driving conditions are one reason. If they are mostly highway with little to no drives shorter then 15 minutes, 10k OCIs shouldn't be a problem with a quality synthetic like Toyota's juice.

If she drives mostly city with stop and go traffic, i'd stick with 5k OCIs but definitely find a local mechanic to change the oil for you while you provide the products. You can get GREAT synthetic and an awesome oil filter for less then $30 and then pay $10 for a good mechanic to put it in for you. It's going to be cheaper and you'll use high quality stuff.

You could also do a few UOA tests to determine if your wife's driving condition falls into the SEVERE service or not. If it doesn't, 10k OCIs aren't a problem.

I'm looking at this same dilemma, at least starting out. I have a 2012 Sienna V6 which comes with 0W-20 as OE and calls for 10,000 mile OCs from day one with not so much as an OLM. We also have a 2011 Honda V6 (I know, I know, totally different engine) that specs 0W-20 but has an OLM that called for the first change at 6300. I did a UOA on that FF and it was ready to go. I just really cant see going 10,000 on the FF. I have TGMO sitting in my garage and I'm thinking doing OC #1 at 4 to 5,000 miles, then letting Toyota change it at 10 and 20,000.

If I recall correctly, the 2011 Camry Hybrid is still on the 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine, which has always used 5W-20 at 5,000 mile intervals (or thereabouts). The 2012 Camry Hybrid uses the newer 2.5L 2AR-FE engine, which has always used 0W-20 at 10,000 mile intervals.

I would continue to use 5W-20 @ 5,000 mile intervals on your '11 Camry Hybrid. Change it yourself for peace of mind (and saving money). The 2AZ-FE uses a spin-on oil filter, right?

I do 10K OCIs with M1 0-20 in all driving conditions regardless of time. I would think Toyo will work well also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I would continue to use 5W-20 @ 5,000 mile intervals on your '11 Camry Hybrid. Change it yourself for peace of mind (and saving money). The 2AZ-FE uses a spin-on oil filter, right?

I have no idea what kind of filter it has. I've never looked under her car.

Like I said,I have no desire to change the oil in her car. I get plenty of grease under my nails changing oil on 2 other vehicles,2 outboards and a bunch of dirt bikes.

The dealer is either gonna get paid $52 or $62. Just don't know which yet.
smile.gif

I use Toyota 0w-20 and have a service done every 10k. My last Toyota 0w-20 UOA at 10,000 miles was satisfactory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back