Power went out, modem won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, my power went out for about 5 seconds. I was on the computer at the time, so everything was working okay. After restarting the computer, the modem won't come back on?

It's a Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2 = Modem Router, DGN2200v3.

The DSL light keeps flashing green, and the internet light is off.

I called Netgear, and they said it sounded like the modem needed to be reconfigured, and of course my 90 day support just expired. They want me to pay $80 for 6 months of support.
mad.gif

I have no idea why it stopped working, and I've had the power go out before, and it came right back on.

I know my line is okay, because I put my old modem back on that I'm still renting from Centurylink, and it's working. I'm glad I dragged my feet on sending it back.

Any idea on what I can check?

Last edited:
There will be an address that you can punch into your browser to access the configuration for the modem; probably something to the effect of 192.168.1.1 or similar. There might be some diagnostics available.

As a "nuclear" option, I'll bet there's a small recessed button on the unit somewhere to reset it to factory (or ISP) defaults. That might help, too.

Does it have a USB and an ethernet connection? Are there firmware utilities online that you can update it with?

I tried resetting it. But that didn't seem to change anything.

It only has an ethernet connection.

I found a new version of the firmware on the netgear site. It's in a zipfile form. How would I apply it?

You might need to reset the password on your router. Call the company and have them reset then you can reset from your computer.
OR
Unplug everything and reconnect in a different sequence.

I suspect that ether your modem went bad due to the lightning hit, or your DSL service has failed.

Try borrowing a friend's modem for testing, or take your modem to a friend's house to see if the modem gets a solid green on the DSL light.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
I suspect that ether your modem went bad due to the lightning hit, or your DSL service has failed.

Try borrowing a friend's modem for testing, or take your modem to a friend's house to see if the modem gets a solid green on the DSL light.

if you read his post again you will see he has a backup modem that works fine.

I'd say most likely the modem is toast, unless he can manage a full reset and then setting it back up makes it work.

I didnt know that they let you use 2 different modems on the same line without a phone call to change them over though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I tried resetting it. But that didn't seem to change anything.

It only has an ethernet connection.

I found a new version of the firmware on the netgear site. It's in a zipfile form. How would I apply it?

By holding the rest button while running a tftp.exe app to flash the router/modem. But...if there is no power response, no lights that's impossible. Get a $10 surge protected power strip for your stuff. Not having surge protection for home electronics van be very very costly,

There is a component in it which got zapped but didn't quit right away. Happens. Electroytic capacitors can do that. Given the "throwaway everything" syndrome the electronics companies have adopted, there isn't much you can do about it except buy an new one and make sure, as others have said, that both power AND the DSL line are protected. There is some well designed transient protection gear out there, but Shady O Rack doesn'r sell it. You'll have to resort to Google. Try Polyphaser, and/or Industrial Communications Engineers.

Last edited:
I went ahead and contacted NETGEAR on their support page. After the typical "reset your modem, unplug it, have your isp check you line" stuff that I already did, and I told them the line was fine as my other modem is working perfectly. They repsonded with this;

Regarding your concern, please contact your ISP and ask them to release the MAC address and try to connect NETGEAR to the DSL and register this MAC address.

I don't even know what that means. Are they just throwing junk answers at me in hope that I go away?

I think the modem is bad, but they don't want to warranty it. It shouldn't be this hard to get a modem to work.
mad.gif

The modem got damaged when the power came back on. Cheap electronics don't do so well with the power surges / spiked that happen when the power drops and comes back on.

I'd keep the rented modem and connect *just* a router to it. The all in one modem/router units never seem to work all that well.

I don't even know what that means. Are they just throwing junk answers at me in hope that I go away?

It means they are using a bot to throw random answer out there. You have to tell them there is no registration and you know they are throwing wrong answers at you.

I had a phone conversation with their tech, and their sales department. Their only advice was to pay for the tech support. Believe me, I made them very away that I was unpleased.

I think they stopped responding to my online tech submission.

If you have a NETGEAR product, good luck to you. Never again for me...

They're not getting anymore money from me. I'm going back to my rented modem, and external router.

More than once, I've been given the same run-around from ATT. With 'tech' service, I immediately ask them to elevate me to tier II, even when I have to wait. And keep calling, eventually you'll get some one who'll answer your questions. The MAC address might be on a sticker on your modem.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
More than once, I've been given the same run-around from ATT. With 'tech' service, I immediately ask them to elevate me to tier II, even when I have to wait. And keep calling, eventually you'll get some one who'll answer your questions. The MAC address might be on a sticker on your modem.

DSL doesn't bind to MAC's.

They're not getting anymore money from me. I'm going back to my rented modem, and external router.

How much per month to rent that modem?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

How much per month to rent that modem?

It's like $3.70 or something close to that. That's why I went with this netgear, thinking it would pay for itself eventually. But it never did, and now I think that fee is worth it considering how much hassle I've had to go through over this thing.

I would also invest in a small UPS for your networking equipment if nothing else. They are convenient if you need to use the internet if the power is out, also they help to aid in keeping your equipment safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back