new truck.. need new oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2012 with ecoboost engine (twin turbo) Im gonna change oil at the 500 mile mark. wondering what you guys recomend. I always used mobil 1 in my trailblazer ss. I use Motul with a zddp additive in everything else i own and Im thinking of using it in this too. Anyways, any suggestions? I had been wanting to try the 8100 xcess, especially now since this engine is direct injected, but dont know much about the oil.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 with mobil 1 oil filter, follow factory recomement weight , many high hp high torque Z06 running that combo. keep all receipt and record for warranty. Recently I visit local mustang dyno tunning around here in texas, almost all high horse power mustang running mobil 1 or QS HP and wix and mobil 1 oil filter, I know because I seen bunch of empty box and empty bottle all over the trash can.

this honda civic 1000 hp, running QS HP, and look like QS is sponsor the shop, cause I seen the ad every where inside it. BTW grat on the new truck
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jay929
nice truck man!

thanks. my [censored] cheek is thanking me alot to.. now my wallet is almost non existent. LOL

heres a pic

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Mobil 1 with mobil 1 oil filter, follow factory recomement weight , many high hp high torque Z06 running that combo. keep all receipt and record for warranty. Recently I visit local mustang dyno tunning around here in texas, almost all high horse power mustang running mobil 1 or QS HP and wix and mobil 1 oil filter, I know because I seen bunch of empty box and empty bottle all over the trash can.

this honda civic 1000 hp, running QS HP, and look like QS is sponsor the shop, cause I seen the ad every where inside it. BTW grat on the new truck
smile.gif

thanks. mobil 1 has always been good to me... well.. except for one time but it wasnt the oils fault. I used it in my TBSS cuz that what was recommended. Anyways, I think ill stick with that, or maybe try castrol edge. either way, motocrap is coming out of there.

In this case, I would have a hard time saying to run an expensive synthetic oil. Power output and gas mileage are excellent all around, but the motor will dilute your oil with gas. Direct injection in gas motors is still not perfect, so generally it's safe to change the oil every 5-6k to combat the fuel dilution. If it was my truck, I'd be running Motorcraft oil with a motorcraft or purolator filter and changing it every ~5k miles.

do you have any sources for your fuel dilution comments? i fail to see how can enter a pressurized cylinder with pressurized compression ring, burn, and then read the correct air fuel ratio, all while still diluting the oil. not that it cant happen of course, but really?

Last edited:
Changing oil at 500 miles on a new engine is too soon for me. I like to leave factory fill 2500/3000 to let things burnish in some. Back in the 1970s through mid 1980s 1000 miles was the new engine drain and fill mark. I had factory reps back then tell me that was too soon.

Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
do you have any sources for your fuel dilution comments? i fail to see how can enter a pressurized cylinder with pressurized compression ring, burn, and then read the correct air fuel ratio, all while still diluting the oil. not that it cant happen of course, but really?

Do a search on this forum on di engines.

It's not expensive, it's Ford recommended. Why stray from Motorcraft 5w30 available at WM? Go on and pick up a Motorcraft filter, a handy 6 of Sam Adams, and some chicken strips from the deli. Then go home and and have lunch while it drains.

I don't know what the factory recommends (not dealer) with regards to the first oil change mileage but, 500 is way too soon. Factory uses assemble lubes and or extra additives to protect durning break-in and to dump early is not good. I think 2,500 would be my minimum. I also think MC oil is a fine oil. Ed

Originally Posted By: Donald
Nice truck. You don't need the extra ZDDP with roller tappets.

+1

Get a good FULLY syn to make it last longer when you park it with hot turbos. Also you'll have to remember to baby it for the last mile of every trip to prevent heating up the oil/turbos and then stopping oil circulation.

Synthetics do not handle fuel dilution any better than conventional. From the limited UOA's on here that engine does not benefit from synthetics at all. Also with the 3.5 I would not have a OCI more than 7K miles. There is really no reason to use a synthetic in that engine the oil will be beat to shreds but the engine will be fine.

PP, PU and Mobil 1 have a stringent turbo approval test and as stated MC has a great oil too. Just follow the factory guidlines (not dealer) and your fine truck will last a long, long time. Ed

I attended the Truck Nationals in Carlisle, PA last weekend. Ford had a cut away of the ecoboost twin turbo engine for the F-150 on display, and to my surprise I did not see roller tappets or anything roller where the cam actuates the valve. Looked like flat tappets to me. Correct me if I am wrong.

I for one would be very interested to see UOAs on this vehicle regardless of what oil you choose - twin turbos with direct injection - I'm thinking this truck will be very hard on the oil - I would stay very close to factory recommendations.

I didn't know the 3.5L was a DI motor...I'm curious if this motor will have the same serious Valve Deposit Problem as 3/4 of the DI engines? Is Lexus the only manufacture whom as some what solved this problem?

I would stick with the M/C oil and filter and stick with the factory OCI until the warranty is out... Then If you have plans on keeping the truck for many yrs? I would switch to a FULL synthetic... But still keep the factory OCI. I just can't see how in the world twin turbos are going to be easy on the oil...

Originally Posted By: Donald
Nice truck. You don't need the extra ZDDP with roller tappets.

I usually only add zddp to the motul because its so low to start with, and I mainly use it in my performance vehicles. I really like the motul because of the Double esters heat resistance and the fact that it clings naturally. but I dont see a motul meeting ford mc2946a. only 913 on the direct injection and turbo engine oils.

I really dont want to use motocraft because of some past experiences. (i use to be a ford tech) BUT with what you guys have told me about fuel dilution, I may just go ahead and use a cheap regular oil, and change it twice as much. around a 4500 OCI.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
I attended the Truck Nationals in Carlisle, PA last weekend. Ford had a cut away of the ecoboost twin turbo engine for the F-150 on display, and to my surprise I did not see roller tappets or anything roller where the cam actuates the valve. Looked like flat tappets to me. Correct me if I am wrong.

it uses a cam on bucket style valve actuation, just like what a high performance japanese street bike engine uses. Holds up great, but it demands extra protection, and thats why i was thinking of using zddp, but i had forgetten about the cats on the truck. im not sure if a smally amount like 5-600 ppm would even be safe, and i know the 1900 ppm i run in my race bikes would hurt the cats. Maybe edge titanium would be a good choice..

SO MANY CHOICES lol. glad i got a few hundred miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back