Mobil Super 5000 5w-20...decent???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have free dealer oil changes, but want to keep oil around for an oil change 'just in case'

I recently did a price comparison at WalMart, AutoZone, and AAP locally and the Mobil Super 5000 caught my attention @ $13 + for a 5 quart jug at Walmart vs their SuperTech brand @ $12 + for a 5 quart jug and was wondering if its decent for the price (I know it's NOT the beloved Pennzoil PYB, but money is getting tight); thank you

I'd restrain myself to one and wait for a FAR offer like recent Valvoline and Quaker State..any major brand will be fine and at least partially synthetic in 5/20 or 5/30.

I always liked the oil. My truck uoa showed a sodium and titanium add pack if that interests you. It's made for 5k oci's and you can't go wrong with Mobil conventionals. I thought I read supertech might be made by a major anyway. Did you search for MS5k UOA's? Also, PQIA did a virgin sample on this oil, you can find at their website.

I recently switched from Pennzoil Ultra to Mobil Super (both in 5W-20) and so far I have been quite pleased with the results (not to mention the cost savings). I have another UOA in process that I will be posting soon. Here are the results from the last UOA (tested by 3 labs for uniformity) alongside the PU UOAs:

MS5K UOA

Here is a VOA of it too:

MS5K VOA

Last edited by a moderator:
Why spend more when less money does just as good of a job? I prefer Pennzoil and I prefer to use anything but a XOM product. But that being said price in this case does not dictate performance. But I bet you can find a better value than Mobil Super. That is how I found Formula Shell for 2.29 a quart and bought a year and half supply for my vehicles.

OP,

Mobil Super 5k is a decent oil. I used it in my Santa Fe for a little while. I noticed a slight increase in HP, but rougher idling and ride quality. Mileage was increased 1-2%. For that price or lower I would spring for the Quaker State Advanced Durability. Around here it's $12.47 a jug. It's a smooth oil with good additive and has plenty of good cred with people.

I kind of wonder though what makes Supertech conventional inferior to Mobil Super 5000. Both have similar initial TBN. Mobil Super 5000 has sodium based additive package, like Valvoline Conventional, while Supertech has molybdenum based additive package and it is manufactured by a major refinery.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
I kind of wonder though what makes Supertech conventional inferior to Mobil Super 5000. Both have similar initial TBN. Mobil Super 5000 has sodium based additive package, like Valvoline Conventional, while Supertech has molybdenum based additive package and it is manufactured by a major refinery.

I didn't read anything in this thread which stated Supertech was inferior, but Mobil Super is produced by Mobil themselves vs Supertech, which is a housebrand that's probably outsourced to the lowest bidder. They both meet specs but you can be sure who made the Mobil. There's two or three different companies who manufacture Supertech depending on region. And there could be antiwear in newer oils that cannot be detected through oil analysis. But the most important thing to remember is to use an oil that meets specs.

I've used Mobil 5000 in several cars, all seemed to be fine. I have no UOA to prove anything beyond oil always looked as expected, the cars never used excessive amounts of oil. I actually did intake gaskets just recently on a 3.5 V6 Malibu I'd been running this oil in, and the motor looked very clean. Just a light varnish through out, used about 1 quart in 4,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

I didn't read anything in this thread which stated Supertech was inferior, but Mobil Super is produced by Mobil themselves vs Supertech, which is a housebrand that's probably outsourced to the lowest bidder. They both meet specs but you can be sure who made the Mobil. There's two or three different companies who manufacture Supertech depending on region. And there could be antiwear in newer oils that cannot be detected through oil analysis. But the most important thing to remember is to use an oil that meets specs.

None of which implies that Mobil Super 5000 is better.

It is perfectly fine oil. I have used it many times personally in multi vehicles with no issues. If anyone else says no good they are just lying or making speculation. One of the better bangs for the buck with the price.

From VOA's of supertech it has sodium for a dispersant/detergent.
Little to no moly quite frankly it has a additive package very similar to Valvoline, Castrol, and Mobil conventionals. I can not think of a blender that has more resources at their disposal than Exxon-Mobil.

I have it in my 2003 OHV Sable, it is a decent oil, but i am switching back to a 5W30, some startup rattle happened when i switched, going back to 5W30 (2001+ of my car was 5W20 without any changes to the engine designs) To see if that quiets it down at startup.

Speaking of supertech. The supertech oil at my walmart is sold in identical jugs and bottles to mobil super, right down to the oversized cap and hole, any word on if it is mobil oil in a different jug?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

None of which implies that Mobil Super 5000 is better.

If it makes whoever buys and uses it sleep better at night then it is "better".

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
OP,

Mobil Super 5k is a decent oil. I used it in my Santa Fe for a little while. I noticed a slight increase in HP, but rougher idling and ride quality. Mileage was increased 1-2%. For that price or lower I would spring for the Quaker State Advanced Durability. Around here it's $12.47 a jug. It's a smooth oil with good additive and has plenty of good cred with people.

It is taken for granted that 'ride quality' will go up with a good oil.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Great oil for the $$. Even better when it's $10 with a filter at AZ...

Agree. Better than I expected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back