2007 Ford Freestyle tramsmission dipstick???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I changed the oil in our Pastor's Ford Freestyle today and in the process of trying to find the transmission dipstick I could not locate it. I looked all over the place. They currently have 104k miles on the vehicle and to my knowledge never have had it serviced. Any idea if it does have a dipstick? If so where would it be located? Thanks.

It's buried under the air intake. Undo the MAF sensor, bend it up out of the way and then reconnect it, start the car and put it in neutral to check.

That said, at that mileage it's time to change the fluid and high pressure filter, as it was due@ 60K.

Thanks, I will have to get it back over here and check it out. The transmission pan looks easy enough to drop and even has a drain plug. Just couldn't find the dipstick.

Just be sure to change out the high pressure filter (p/n 5F9Z-7B155-Y) as well as the screen filter (5F9Z-7A098-B) and use a proper CVT fluid. We have had numerous Freestyles and Five Hundreds brought in on the hook after a quickie lube though they had the auto and the trans was ruined to the tune of ~$4500 in parts plus labor.

Thanks bdcardinal! I will make sure this gets accomplished. They also are on the original plugs so I would guess they need to be changed out as well.

Yeah, plugs and PCV are due @ 100K, as well as coolant. Needless to say, that's not fun because you have to pull the intake manifold. It would be a good time to clean the throttle body as well, which can be problematic on this car if it's dirty.

I'll echo what bdcardinal said, you have to use the correct fluid in this transmission, either the Motorcraft or a specific chain drive CVT fluid (I'm sticking with the MC filter).

As far as the filters, the HP filter is actually the more important one to change. It's not difficult to do, though you need to remove the front driver's side wheel and a transmission mount for access. If you want to DIY, here's a link here: http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3906&p=31929#p31929/url

It doesn't take as long to do as it does to read that! An impact wrench for the transmission mount really speeds up the process though.

As far as the pan filter, I've never done mine. It's basically a rock catcher, and I've been draining/filling @ 30K and I'm on my 2nd HP filter. My plan is to do the pan filter @ 150K or at the first sign of leaks, whatever comes first. It's not required in the FSM. So, I'd probably leave it unless you see it weeping.

JOD, thanks for the link. That makes it nicer to attempt to do. Doesn't look hard at all. I just need to find out what drain plug they have and get all the parts. Rockauto seems to be the place to get everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back