0W20 benefit you can actually see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I drive my car now after changing the oil from QSUD 5W20 to 0W20 the cold engine light goes out much faster, meaning the car has reached "operating temperature".

So, I am glad to report one benefit that I don't have to trust the science behind it... Your car warms up faster it is more fuel efficient, and less pollution.

I just purchased a Celica with the 2zz-ge engine and thought about putting in either RP or Toyota 0w-20 for the upcoming winter. The car is spec'd for 5w-30 though, however, in winter I tend to short trip a lot going to work... hmm

Mike, I'd have to verify but I would be happy with either as the coolant temp rises very fast so it would indicate an engine warming faster to "operating temp" regardless.

In common practice though, the coolant always warms MUCH faster than the oil, but they share a relationship and the only factor that changed was to a thinner "winter" weight.

I am guessing that the faster flowing cold oil allows temp equilibrium to be reached measurably faster...

But this is starting to get more into physics so maybe someone else can chime in as Mike is a bit on to something (ie the discussion is becoming interesting)...

If a different oil in otherwise identical conditions causes an engine to warm up noticeably faster "much faster",I would never use it again.
It is doing something very wrong.

Benefit?? No way.

Last edited:
That is the same benefit that made Toyota designers design engines that could cook Dino oil into sludge.

When I put in Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE last winter, the first thing I noticed, was that my Ultragauge would show an increase in MPG quicker after a cold start. I liked my Mobil 1 experience enought to use it again this winter. Best I could figure it was worth a MPG or so. The Tacoma ran real well on it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If a different oil in otherwise identical conditions causes an engine to warm up noticeably faster "much faster",I would never use it again.

Benefit?? No way.

What's wrong with thinner oil cause an engine to warm up noticeably faster in otherwise identical conditions ?

Originally Posted By: cutter
I just purchased a Celica with the 2zz-ge engine and thought about putting in either RP or Toyota 0w-20 for the upcoming winter. The car is spec'd for 5w-30 though, however, in winter I tend to short trip a lot going to work... hmm

Toyota Celica was discontinued in 05 so this engine must have some miles on it. When considering a thin oil, don't forget the mechanical state.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Benefit?? No way.

What's wrong with thinner oil cause an engine to warm up noticeably faster in otherwise identical conditions ?

Would indicate greater friction/dynamic drag that caused the engine to heat quicker... Using a oil with less the engine should heat slower...

I'm in agreement with mechtech2

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Toyota Celica was discontinued in 05 so this engine must have some miles on it. When considering a thin oil, don't forget the mechanical state.

102k mi. With 0w-20 being off spec, would it consume more or would it not protect? I can deal with the former for better startups, but not any instance with the latter.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

102k mi. With 0w-20 being off spec, would it consume more or would it not protect? I can deal with the former for better startups, but not any instance with the latter.

Burning more oil is never ok, fouls everything between the combustion chamber and the muffler. Cats are expensive on Toyotas. I just looked at the back spec chart. I suspect you have the GTS model which means you have one of the 2 engines Toyota makes that does not have a back spec. Not even 5w20. That tells me all I need to know. Your asking for trouble using 0w20. The cons outweigh the pros.

^

0W20 should be interchangeable with 5W20 whenever any 20-grade oil is recommended. However, I wouldn't use 20-grade if 30-grade is what the manufacturer recommends. For better cold start flow, try to use 0W30 or the Caterham blend (search archives).

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Benefit?? No way.

Would indicate greater friction/dynamic drag that caused the engine to heat quicker... Using a oil with less the engine should heat slower...

Yep, quicker heating is friction...

Hate to say it but, terms like "much faster and quicker and better mileage" don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Put a stop watch and some data values to this test and report back.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
^

0W20 should be interchangeable with 5W20 whenever any 20-grade oil is recommended. However, I wouldn't use 20-grade if 30-grade is what the manufacturer recommends. For better cold start flow, try to use 0W30 or the Caterham blend (search archives).

Hmm, I do have 9 qts of 0-20 toyota SN. Might try that blend then.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: TFB1

Benefit?? No way.

Yep, quicker heating is friction...

add me to the list of being in agreement

It is doing something very wrong.[/quote]

Some benefit! I'll let you guys go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back