Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
If this oil is better than M1 0w40, then I'd like to try it in my M3

I don't think anyone here has ever claimed that it's better. Besides, how do you define "better" anyway?

Yeah I wouldn't say that this is 'better', but rather I would say that it works. Over 10k miles in my GTI, the only thing I noticed is that the viscosity went from 13.1 to 11.8. Though I will say that is not all that unusual in the 2.0T. Other than that the oil stayed clean and the TBN was still at 3.6 at change time.

A couple of years ago I had a case of 5W40 Platinum European Formula that was SL rated. I have since switched to the Ultra because they are roughly the same price.

btw, to keep things in perspective, my 5w40 Ultra sheared down to the weight of 0w30 German Castrol after 10k miles. So I don't think this is too big of a deal. The 10k OCI seems appropriate.

Originally Posted By: cycloxer
btw, to keep things in perspective, my 5w40 Ultra sheared down to the weight of 0w30 German Castrol after 10k miles. So I don't think this is too big of a deal. The 10k OCI seems appropriate.

On what car is that?
I tried M1 on CC 2.0T and now have GC in it. Thinking to try PU. What are you experiences on GTI?

WOW, I remember this thread...

I cannot believe it made 50 pages, This is the longest thread on one oil type and weight I have ever seen.

I ran that analysis on my 2010 VW GTI. I am running Ultra in both of my GTI's now. I really like how it is working out. It is all I have used in the 2010 and I have no intentions of switching as the oil holds up perfectly fine at 10k OCI's.

I am coming up for an oil change before it gets too cold and I am considering going to the PU 5w40. But even after reading this entire thread I am still unsure if maybe I should just stick with M1 0w40.

I am very easy on the engine but this mainly due to all the short tripping I do. Most drives are less than 10 miles. I like 6 month OCI's, so I am just a bit unsure if there's a benefit going to the PU. I do like how the price is $40 shipped on amazon though.

Originally Posted By: jigen
I do like how the price is $40 shipped on amazon though.

But that's still more than what M1 costs when on sale.

Main reason why people skip M1 0w-40 is that it supposedly makes their engine sound noisy. If you don't have that problem, I'd just stick with it.

I have heard people say that engine is noisier on Mobil 1, but only on this forum.

Is there a reason why some people notice a difference or is it something that would show up in other 0w40 applications or indeed in other 0w?? applications.

The wife's Clio is fairly quiet for a high miles diesel, but does have the odd little rattle to itself on tickover, I just considered it to be injectors or something, has always done it.

Might try a different oil next OCI, has just over 4k on this run of Mobil 1 New Life 0w40.

It can use 5w40 so Castrol Edge FST is a possibility as is Maxlife 10w40, not that a HM is needed it is oil tight and uses nothing really, maybe a cup full over an OCI, might use more if I ran it out to the manufacturer limit of 12k

Will report back with a new thread if I choose a different oil and notice any noise change.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I have heard people say that engine is noisier on Mobil 1, but only on this forum.

Heck, I've heard people say that about all grades of M1 here (and elsewhere, believe it or not). I guess my hearing isn't sensitive enough. I can only tell when oil pressure has dropped enough to create a knock, or perhaps if someone ran a 5w-20 in a diesel in the summer or something like that.
wink.gif

Hi,
bigjl - Yes I have found M1 0W-40 to be "noisy" at startup in some engine families. It was for me in 2.5Ltr Subaru and 2.8 BMW (Z3) engines

In the various Benzes, Porsche and Mitsubishi engines I've owned it has been a "silent" lubricant!

Various versions of M1 do seem to have less acoustic sympathy than some other lubricants. This said this ("startup noise")does not in any way affect durability. Most people would not even notice the difference

I've typically run M1 0W-40 out to the full Manufacturer's OCI and well beyond with a suitable UOA programme to monitor its condition. In time this often out to 18 months or so - at present there is 7.5k on one Mitsubishi engine and the lubricant is in great shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back