Ford Fusion Hybrid/Mercon LV ATF Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a former government owned, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 69,000 miles. Got it for what I thought was a good price ($14K). A couple of questions about the automatic transmission fluid used in this vehicle.

It is my understanding that this car takes Mercon LV ATF. Interval change is every 150,000 miles.

a) Are there any other aftermarket Mercon LV ATF brands available?

b) Would any of you wait until 150,000 miles?

c) Is this a problematic transmission or simplistic transmission by design?

d) Is Mercon LV compatible with other Mercon fluids?

My F150 requires Mercon LV also. The only one I know of is Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc. It claims compatibility with Mercon LV, and I just changed out my fluid with this about 2,000 miles ago. So far, no difference , smooth and normal. Would not wait til 150k if it was my car, but that is up to you. Hope this helps
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I will go ahead and speak for the board. No.
I second that.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I will go ahead and speak for the board. No.
I second that.

Maybe.....40 to 50K max.

As for aftermarket Mercon LV fluids when I search various oil companies websites no dice. Often I find dealer only. Funny though because my previous dealer only did flushes with BG ATF.

Originally Posted By: travlnman
My F150 requires Mercon LV also. The only one I know of is Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc. It claims compatibility with Mercon LV, and I just changed out my fluid with this about 2,000 miles ago. So far, no difference , smooth and normal. Would not wait til 150k if it was my car, but that is up to you. Hope this helps
smile.gif

As far as I know Ford's/Motorcraft LV is the only ATF on the market that meets the requirement.

Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Mers is a universal one size fits all fluid, just because it claims compatibility with Mercon LV does not mean they will back that up, it is the way they use the words to make it appear to meet Fords specs. I have a friend who owns a repair shop and used Chevrons universal atf in a Nissan that he flushed while under warranty and the trans died shortly after. A long story made short Nissian denied the customers claim for a transmission under warranty as the fluid used did not meet Nissian's specs. Chevron basically said to bad your beef is with Nissian not us, after consulting a laywer or two he found it to be cheaper to spend $6500.00 out of pocket then to try and sue. This is a true story no [censored]!

Originally Posted By: crazy8
Originally Posted By: travlnman
smile.gif

As far as I know Ford's/Motorcraft LV is the only ATF on the market that meets the requirement.

Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Mers is a universal one size fits all fluid, just because it claims compatibility with Mercon LV does not mean they will back that up, it is the way they use the words to make it appear to meet Fords specs. I have a friend who owns a repair shop and used Chevrons universal atf in a Nissan that he flushed while under warranty and the trans died shortly after. A long story made short Nissian denied the customers claim for a transmission under warranty as the fluid used did not meet Nissian's specs. Chevron basically said to bad your beef is with Nissian not us, after consulting a laywer or two he found it to be cheaper to spend $6500.00 out of pocket then to try and sue. This is a true story no [censored]!

How about Amsoil and RedLine Oil? Do they make a replacement Mercon LV ATF? And are any of these three considered full synthetic, rather than Group III?

I am not sure what design the CVT is on a Fusion Hybrid, but many hybrid transaxles have electric windings inside the transmission that are exposed to the fluid. If the fluid has not been tested specifically for that application, bad things can happen if the fluid is not non-conductive.

For a hybrid app I would stick with the Genuine fluid only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back