Federal Tires Question On Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anything about federal Tires I need new tires on my 95 Cadillac Seville The original ones still look good believe it or not (1995), but im afraid they are dry rotted inside.. The car has under 45,000 miles and lives in my garage.. I can get federal tires from a tire shop nearby for $90.00 a piece mounted and balanced. He has them on his car.. What do you think they are rated at 50,000 miles..

I'd go for a tire from a well-known manufacturer.

I've never even seen Federal tires for sale or mounted on any vehicle around here.

China tires on a Seville? You need some Vogues, the Cadillac tire.
grin.gif

P225-60R16_WG_600px.jpg

Absolutely not $90 per tire, but at the rate this Seville is going through tires you won't be shopping for them again for a while.

Which Federal tire model?

That's like telling us that you are considering "Goodyears"... which one?

I've seen them on cars around here. never really paid attention to them. for as few miles as you apparently drive the caddy, I'd consider them. 225/60-16?

I'm not familiar with Federal, so I just did a little Googling.

Federal Tires is actually a Taiwanese company, not Chinese.

According to the Wikipedia page , and the company's website, they have two factories. One is in Taiwan and one in China.

Federal doesn't seem to have wide distribution, though. I checked the dealer locator and 3 of the 4 states I've lived in have no distributors.

Personally, I don't mind Taiwanese products. I find they're generally higher quality than Chinese products, sometimes significantly higher quality. Plus, there are other political reasons to purchase Taiwanese products instead of Chinese, but I won't get into that here.

I personally won't buy Chinese tires, but that's just me. If the tires I was looking at were Taiwanese Federal Tires, I would consider them. If they were Chinese, I would pass. Again, just my opinion.

But, since Federal is so small, I don't know if CR, Tire Rack or any other websites have reliable testing and customer reviews on them. They could still have outdated tread designs or other things that keep them from performing as well as other brands. But, even the big tire companies produce some tires that perform very poorly, so who knows.

Last edited:
I dont know how good they are but darn near all of the small shops in the detroit area are pushing them hard and not real cheap.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Federal Tires is a fairly large company. The 595RS-R is a popular track/autocross tire.

Yes, their high/max performance range does look interesting, although they will NEVER make them in my sizes.

Originally Posted By: smoky66
I dont know how good they are but darn near all of the small shops in the detroit area are pushing them hard and not real cheap.

Not by me....

My apologies for the obvious overstatment, but i've been to around 20 shops almost all, and I have the printouts to show it,
are pushing Federals. Maybe they make more money off them. They
all swear its an excellent value, but I always find better known
tires for around the same price give or take a few dollars. I dont have a problem with so called no name tires, I had Lexingtons on my old car and they were pretty decent tires so were the Jetzons, bad alignments did them in. I dont know much about Federals though.

Originally Posted By: smoky66
My apologies for the obvious overstatment, but i've been to around 20 shops almost all, and I have the printouts to show it,
are pushing Federals. Maybe they make more money off them. They
all swear its an excellent value, but I always find better known
tires for around the same price give or take a few dollars. I dont have a problem with so called no name tires, I had Lexingtons on my old car and they were pretty decent tires so were the Jetzons, bad alignments did them in. I dont know much about Federals though.

That's okay, no harm or anything. Who knows, maybe the salesguy for federal just happened to hit up the area or something like that...

I've known about Federal tires for a while now, as they tend to be popular with the tuner type crowd. Kinda like Nexen-made to perform well, but they just don't last that long.

Interesting enough, Cooper tire seems to be getting a big push here. Started at the indy shops, then sears, and now even Belle and Discount tire now carry either Cooper or mastercraft tires. Strange....

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Anyone know anything about federal Tires I need new tires on my 95 Cadillac Seville The original ones still look good believe it or not (1995), but im afraid they are dry rotted inside.. The car has under 45,000 miles and lives in my garage.. I can get federal tires from a tire shop nearby for $90.00 a piece mounted and balanced. He has them on his car.. What do you think they are rated at 50,000 miles..

Go to Tire Rack. For $90 or not a lot more, you can get a tire that you've actually heard of. Given the rate at which you're using the tires, you could ammortize any price difference over a very long period of time.

I used to see the Federal Formoza FD1 arouund as an ocassional choice for tight budgeted muscle car or ricer owners and it had some fans on message boards.

I read a few years ago that they have some sort of partnership with Continental, not sure if it involves local manufacturing of some Continental brands or just distribution. But the General G-Max recently released in here in Canada looks alot like the recently discontinued Federal Super Steel 535 (just a different centre rib I think ).

Last edited:
There are some reviews of the Federal SS657t on Tire Easy.com,
the size I checked was 225/60/16. Tire Easy might have other Federals in stock but I dont have time to look right now, will check tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back