Rigid 3000 psi 2.6 gpm w/Subaru 169cc OHC 5.6HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
the item is this one.

questions:

the box contained a 'generic' 10W-30, 18oz and I've seen it mentioned with other similar small engines that it may be best to use a straight 30W oil.

also, is there a 'proper' new engine break-in process/period, ie. use normally but change oil after first couple uses ?

Those Robin engines will run just fine on either 10W30 or 30, they are not picky about oil. Not sure about break in, but again it's not a picky engine. I don't think I've ever seen a seized one or one with some other oil failure. Some coil failures, some EFI and carb issues, but generally reliable under lots of neglect.

I purchased the same model earlier this year. I threw in whatever oil came in the box & haven't worried about it. I figure the pump will expire long before the motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stevejones
I purchased the same model earlier this year. I threw in whatever oil came in the box & haven't worried about it. I figure the pump will expire long before the motor.

If it has the Cat pump, maybe not. Those pumps are actually fully serviceable and rebuildable, and they last a long time. The plain Annovi pumps and no-name pumps probably will go before the engine though.

>> If it has the Cat pump, maybe not.

yes, this has a CAT pump. it appears the CAT pump also uses 10W30 but with the caveat in manual to change seldom vs engine

I am really OCD about having a new engine. I presonally would chnage the oil each hour for the first 5 hrs.

On my honda, after 30 minutes of washing, I have metal swirl in the oil. About 5 changes later the swirl is consitent with all small engines with no filter. I would not have wanted to leave the metal swirl in there for 5 full hours.

It seems small engines are either not rinsed well after assembly, or they really have to break in.

When I rebuild Kohler K series, they do the same. Lots of swirl.

B&S flatheads benefits from running straight SAE 30 weight oil; OHV configurations such as Honda, Subaru-Robin, Mitsu, and all other Chonda clones runs on 10W30.

When in doubt: get a bottle of brand name 10W30 and use it in place of that bottle of oil that came along with the package.

Q.

>> would chnage the oil each hour for the first 5 hrs.
>>
>>... after 30 minutes of washing, I have metal swirl in the oil.

yup, that's precisely what I found just now, metallic swirl and quite dark color after few hours/first day use. had an unopened Mobil 10W-40 on hand so will use that for a couple quick changes for the next few hours of use.

Got two Robin-Subaru EXs. I had emailed Robin worried about running my generator in 100F weather with 10-30, and Jack, the tech rep, assured me I would have no problems as the oil temp on those engines are fairly moderate. Been runnning the generator and pressure washer for years with GC, and a couple quarts of Delo thrown in once in awhile.

You will get glitter the first couple changes.

Cool! I didn't realize Subaru Robin made this series of engines OHC. Thought all SR's were conventional OHV.

If you want to stick with a 30wt variant, I'd go with Rotella or any other HD/air cooled oil over an automotive 10w30.

1170_l.png

Joel

I would also put it stock oil in it and change it after an hour. I have the same PW, there was some evidence of metal after 3 hours of running. However there was no visible evidence on the second change.

Great pressure washer btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back