Filters that Filter 3 Microns or less

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a filter that filters 3 microns or smaller, its going to be for my truck and from what I've read people said to run a 3 micron oil filter funny thing is they never mentioned a brand.

As of now I'm thinking:

Purolator---Pureone---99.9%---???
Napa---
AMSOIL Ea
Fleetguard

What I think might be nice is to try to make a sticky with:

Filter Brand---Filter---Efficiency%---Micron Filtered

Purolator---Pureone---99.9---???
Purolator---Purolator---97.5%---???
Purolator---Synthetic---99%---???
AMSOIL---Ea---98.7%
AFE---PROgurad---95%+ (hard to tell from the graph)
Napa---Gold---???---???
Napa---Platinmun---???---???

Its a start I'll keep digging

Just returned from Walmart, the Fram Ultra is stocked now. Definately include that in the list.

Fram Ultra is 99% ISO 4548-12 for particles >20 microns

Most of the ratings you mentioned are at 20 microns. Few filters will do much at 3 microns, and if they did you'd have flow issues.

I believe the PureOne is closest to what you're looking for though.

Three microns as a primary oil filter? You won't find it and if you did it would have to be huge to be able to flow the volume of oil needed.

Are you sure they weren't talking about fuel filters? There has been a big hoopla lately over Cummins fuel filters because some of the aftermarket ones you buy are only 10-12 micron and it's allowing too much dirt into the system and eating injectors. And engines too, if it's allowed to go too far.

Anyway, the only 3 micron oil filter you would want is a bypass system.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Three microns as a primary oil filter? You won't find it and if you did it would have to be huge to be able to flow the volume of oil needed.

Are you sure they weren't talking about fuel filters? There has been a big hoopla lately over Cummins fuel filters because some of the aftermarket ones you buy are only 10-12 micron and it's allowing too much dirt into the system and eating injectors. And engines too, if it's allowed to go too far.

Anyway, the only 3 micron oil filter you would want is a bypass system.

I think your right it was a fuel filter, well at least that mystery is solved now I got to find a dumb fuel filter...

I would go for a WIX or Donaldson or Cummins. I assume you want a fuel filter for your Cummins? Check Genos Garage online. They sell genuine Cummins parts before Chrysler has put a Chrysler label on them and doubled the price.

Originally Posted By: blacklamb
The cummins store down the street says they stock and use fleetguard, time for me to start digging

Fleetguard are quality filters also. What are you digging for?

Some dinero to fund the purchase?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: blacklamb
The cummins store down the street says they stock and use fleetguard, time for me to start digging

Fleetguard are quality filters also. What are you digging for?

Some dinero to fund the purchase?

Fleet guard does 7 microns, AFE 5, and Purolator does 3-4 I emailed them. Oh and by digging I meant research.

I've seen a few studies in which folks tried to determine "pore size" and such by using analytical equipment, and the ASTM/ISO tests are more about filtering out standardized dust samples than smallest pore sizes, but the smallest number I recall reading was 8 microns for a PureOne media. (And yet, PureOne medias were nothing special in other shadetree scientist tests.) Bottom line, I've seen very few references to sigle-digit micron ratings for full-flow (standard) oil filters, as well as air filters. In one piece of Hengst oil filter literature they refer to "reliably filtering out" 10 micron particles, which was good enough for me since I liked the Hengst construction anyway. But searching for 3 micron filtration outside of bypass filters is a snipe hunt, comparable to Snooki searching for her brain. Limted chances for success. :)

Originally Posted By: Donald
What is the Cummins brand filter?

I think they meant fleetguard, as that is what cummins stores sell

Isn't there some brand of spin on filter that is both a full flow and by-pass combined. Micro-green (guessing) or something like that.
I don't have any idea as far as flow rates with them nor how well they are constructed,which would be important figures to know since they are packing a lot of stuff into a single can.

Clevy, yes, the microgreenfilter.com does get out smaller particles, down to 2 microns. It uses a parallel path, one path is normal filtration (paper) for good flow..., the other path handles the small stuff using a sintered plastic filter. Note parallel is not the same as bypass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FetchFar
It uses a parallel path, one path is normal filtration (paper) for good flow..., the other path handles the small stuff using a sintered plastic filter. Note parallel is not the same as bypass.

It is basically the same in terms of "bypass filtration" like what is done with two separate filters. There's a whole forum about it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...&PHPSESSID=

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: FetchFar
It uses a parallel path, one path is normal filtration (paper) for good flow..., the other path handles the small stuff using a sintered plastic filter. Note parallel is not the same as bypass.

It is basically the same in terms of "bypass filtration" like what is done with two separate filters. .

I don't like the idea of a bypass filter essentially robbing the oil flow of 10%, dumping it right back into the sump (hence the term "bypass"). The parallel path avoids this issue. Some would say an engine has "too much" oil flow already, totally depends on the engine design I guess! ... So on the subject of this thread, if you wanted to throw on a spin-on oil filter and get down to around 3 microns filtration, nothing out there does that except for the microgreenfilter.com for automobiles. truckers have parallel path filters available to them too, other brands

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back