Best tire gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for the best tire gauge, any thoughts or opinions (including cost and where you got it). Thanks

I like my Craftsman digital. Someone gave me a Slime digital and it was way off. Not sure if it was that particular one or the brand. Dial is more accurate than a pencil. And a pencil with a square thing is better than a pencil with a flat thing.

If you get a dial, get it for about what your car has speced for PSI. If your car is 32 PSI, get a 0-40 or 0-50 rather than a 0-100.

I was at a Stewarts (like 7-11 but with free air) and an older lady was filling the tires while her husband watched. I offered her the use of my Craftsman digital as the one on the air hoses are beat. Wouldn't you know it she had a newer and better Craftsman digital gauge than me.

Not accutire !!i have had an older one thats been thru [censored] and it still works great but i bought a newer one, had it a couple years still in the pkg. When i took it out it didnt work.They will not warranty it.And i didnt tell them when i bought it.

Seems they are all cheap made now, I remember years ago there used to be gauges made AccuGage that were very long lasting but i don't think they make them anymore

Made in USA dial gauge. Forget who makes them, but I believe they are based in IL.

same here. I use craftsman digital guage. It is not the best, but it cost about $20-$25, do the job.. You can buy one from sears or kmart.

I don't have brand names to offer, but I'll suggest that "best tire gauge" for me would be one that can be dropped on repeated occasions with no significant impact on use or accuracy. And that would tend to eliminate more complex gauges, and give the thumbs-up to simpler designs. Although I prefer dial gauges, the raw simplicity (and therefore durability) of a quality "stick" or “pencil” gauge is hard to beat.

The Moroso 89560 is about as accurate as I'm willing to pay for (2% accuracy across the scale).
It's fine.

The Moroso 89562 is more accurate (0.5% accurate), at about 4x the cost, and comes with a hard case. R. Penny's review of it on Amazon should help you decide.

Surprised no one has mentioned PCL yet. Certified accurate to +/- 1 PSI, and not overly expensive. Very hard to find, you may need to order online, or get in touch with a tire supply wholesaler (which I did).

Passenger car model (6 to 50 psi): http://www.pcltireinflation.com/Products/Product?ProductId=1482

High pressure model (10 to 120 psi): http://www.pcltireinflation.com/Products/Product?ProductId=1496

Very solidly built, and made in the UK. I remember my dad had one when I was a kid. I bought the high pressure gauge for only $20.

Last edited:
I have four AccuTire digital gages that I bought for half price at Sears, $7.50 ea. at X-Mas time, almost 15 years ago and they all still work great. Have never needed to change the batteries in any of them. One for each daily driver, one for the home shop and one for on the job that I used everyday for seven years. Those were the black and silver ones without the lighted readout.

I bought another Accutire, about five years ago, that was identical to the ones above except it had the lighted red readout and it is just as good as the previous purchases.

It's durable, dead-on accurate and fits the hand perfectly, I highly recommend it. Now, whether the innards has changed over the years, I don't know.

Amazon sells them for $9.95.
Search for Accutire MS-4021B Digital tire Gauge

Keith

I admit to using the new digital $.75 cent air machines being installed everywhere. The ex wife has my 60 gallon air compressor. Was too big to bring with me.

I have 4 cheap tire gauges. 3 of them are within 1 PSI of each other. The other one is about 5 PSI lower than the rest. I just grab one of the first 3 and am pretty confident I am getting a good reading.

I have one of the first AccuTires.Its around 1995-96.It still works.Lithium battery still keeps plugging along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back