Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive seen engines that have been run on castrol GTX that have been spotless with 3K OCI but I've also seen engines that have been varnished up pretty good on GTX on oci higher than 3k. GTX is not my oil of choice and its always more expensive and probably will never buy it.

I use GTX in my 1997 Tahoe. Blackstone Labs stated it is the lowest wearing 350 V8 they have on file. GTX is one of the very best oils you can get. Do a search for my 1997 Tahoe and you can see all my UOA's on it.

Originally Posted By: kam327
Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is closer to 17 dollars here in a 5qt jug. That puts it around 2 dollars more than Pennzoil. The single qt price is around 40 cents more a quart. So the cost of GTX can very easily be 10% more than Pennzoil everyday price.

Must depend on your region. I'm looking at walmart.com right now and Quaker is 14.88, Pennzoil YB is 15.47, and GTX is 15.97. So it's about 20 cents a quart more than the cheapest.

I do not know how you got that info from walmart.com because I get prices may vary by region but there is Valvoline conventional 5qt at 16.47. Valvoline and GTX at WM here are almost always the same price. As a matter of fact QS defy cost 15.57 here for a 5qt jug so I think I may of found my next buy.

Must depend on your region. I'm looking at walmart.com right now and Quaker is 14.88, Pennzoil YB is 15.47, and GTX is 15.97. So it's about 20 cents a quart more than the cheapest.

I've had good luck with it over the years. I think you're right about the regional pricing business. In my neck of the woods, I can get it just about any day of the week for around $14 for a 4.4 L jug, and sometimes as low as $9.88. I think my Walmart still has it for $11.88, and has for about a month.

It is closer to 17 dollars here in a 5qt jug. That puts it around 2 dollars more than Pennzoil. The single qt price is around 40 cents more a quart. So the cost of GTX can very easily be 10% more than Pennzoil everyday price.

I do not know how you got that info from walmart.com because I get prices may vary by region but there is Valvoline conventional 5qt at 16.47. Valvoline and GTX at WM here are almost always the same price. As a matter of fact QS defy cost 15.57 here for a 5qt jug so I think I may of found my next buy.

Couldn't even buy a filter for that price here!
Incredibly low prices considering how oil is made.
15 USD for 1 litre here!

Last edited:

These are the same prices here in Ohio. I'm going to stock up and am torn between the PYB and the GTX. I run 5W20 in both a RAV4 with the 2.5 I4 (5K OCI) and an Accord 3.0 (6-7K OCI). For 50 cents more is the GTX better than the PYB? I see great UOA's with both. Tough choice for me...

I've used some GTX over the years, and while I never UOAed a run, it seemed to keep an engine as clean as anything else on moderate drains.
It seems expensive for what you get per the PDS, though.
If you want an oil of similar formualtion, you can get Valvoline Nextgen FAR all day long.
Finally, although OT, I had very poor results with GTX HM in the old Impreza, with much higher consumption than had been the case with the PP I'd used in the car before.
I've since gone to Maxlife, and the leaks and consumption are greatly reduced.

I just like the different variations in WM price at different stores in the US. SoCal WM oil prices are higher than here I can attest to personal experience.

Hardly one of BP-Castrol's biggest fans, but I'd have a hard time believing that Castrol GTX is much worse than any other conventional oil in a typical OCI...

Originally Posted By: JMHC

These are the same prices here in Ohio. I'm going to stock up and am torn between the PYB and the GTX. I run 5W20 in both a RAV4 with the 2.5 I4 (5K OCI) and an Accord 3.0 (6-7K OCI). For 50 cents more is the GTX better than the PYB? I see great UOA's with both. Tough choice for me...

If your choice is between GTX and PYB, and the PYB is cheaper, I say go with PYB.

Or take a look at VWB; GTX and VWB have very similar additive packages. Maybe the VWB will be cheaper? At my local Meijer, PYB is cheapest, then VWB is a little more, then GTX is another little bit more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back