OEM Shocks versus Aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

What are your thoughts on the stated topic? Within the same price range which is better in your estimation? I will be at 100K in the blink of an eye and I am considering replacing the shocks on my FX4. I would not be opposed to the OEMs simply because they have lasted as long as they did (much like the OEM brakes), but how do the aftermarket compare?

Anyone have any experiences to share?

PS...if this is in the wrong forum (did not see a suspension forum) please move it.

OEM are usually overpriced so if you get a good aftermarket set, they will be cheaper or cost the same but will be of good quality.

I've had good luck with KYB shocks on my 98 Camry, which are the good brand compared to my other choices.

I would think the HD ones would be better if you're hauling any load, whereas the lower end ones would be closer to OEM, kind of like the KYB line. For my F-150, I went with the higher end type, even though my dealer said it would ride rougher. Well, it is a truck. And, regardless of that, the heavier shocks provide a much better ride than the worn out ones they replaced.

Going from the HD Bilsteins to the Comfort ones, I'd say the HD ones are better for most. The ride is slightly stiffer but it's also more controlled, ie less wallowing.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Gang,

What are your thoughts on the stated topic? Within the same price range which is better in your estimation? I will be at 100K in the blink of an eye and I am considering replacing the shocks on my FX4. I would not be opposed to the OEMs simply because they have lasted as long as they did (much like the OEM brakes), but how do the aftermarket compare?

Anyone have any experiences to share?

PS...if this is in the wrong forum (did not see a suspension forum) please move it.

I have had bad experiences with KYB on trucks.

Bilsteins may be the best there is for trucks IME. But we own 2 sets of Gabriel Ultras that do an amazing job of taming a 9000 pound long wheelbase van! Cheap, too.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I have had bad experiences with KYB on trucks.

What type of bad experiences?

I haven't used KYB shocks/struts, but I've read good things and I was considering them for my next strut replacement.

Broke one on a 3500 Savana and they would not warranty it.

Had two on a Silverado simply wear out, they denied that one, too.

Not a fan.

Thanks all for the information; I will likely go with the Bilsteins based upon the reviews here and other places I visited after reading the thoughts here. I have had KYBs on two C4 Corvettes and they are terrible (cheap and terrible) so I cannot imagine they would be worth anything on a 4WD.

I cannot complain about the OEM shocks though, however I have not priced them to see what the cost is.

Thanks again all!

Bilstein all the way. They are the only dampers I have ever put on a car I have owned or taken care of. The only exception being the Volvo which has Monroe housings with Ohlins valving and electronics for the active chassis.

I got aggravated hunting for shocks for the Audi. I wanted Bilsteins. Of course, they only offered the front or rear (I forget which), but none for the other end were listed in the catalog. Yeesh. OEM Sachs were too far away for my patience, so I did Munroes. I didn't keep it much longer after that anyhow, so no idea how it's faring now.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Thanks all for the information; I will likely go with the Bilsteins based upon the reviews here and other places I visited after reading the thoughts here. I have had KYBs on two C4 Corvettes and they are terrible (cheap and terrible) so I cannot imagine they would be worth anything on a 4WD.

I cannot complain about the OEM shocks though, however I have not priced them to see what the cost is.

Thanks again all!

Just for fun, I was wrenching on my 2005 Silverado and wanted to check on the shocks. This truck just hit 100k miles and I've never touched them.

They were Bilstein! What a surprise. Now I may never need shocks!

Bilstein shocks are great, unfortunately they make shocks for fewer vehicles than companies like Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back