Black car--solution for scratches and wax advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have 2004 Civic which is Black. So as you know black cars show off all minor details and it really annoys me!

I waxed the car like 4 months ago using Turtle wax black box..Scratches didnt dissappear but at least they were less recognizable and the car shines. However, this product does not last longer max 2 weeks. (I usually keep the car in the garage,living in FL)

I have been looking at scratch remover products recently. I found these prodcuts which are be advised by users..

Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover
Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0

I also need a good wax. I heard that this product is very good but I am not sure if I can apply this by hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845/dp/B000JK2D06/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I will post some pics of the scratches asap

Thanks for your advice!

The two scratch products you linked to are for "spot treatment", i.e. you get a nasty scratch in one area. You don't use them on the entire car. ScratchX has been around for a long time but it is an effective product.

You should probably look at one of the synthetic sealants or synthetic waxes, as they tend to last longer than the natural/carnauba-based ones.

Wolfgang, Klasse, etc. are the popular sealants. They last up to 6 months, even in the hottest climates. Waxes tend to melt and wash off over the course of a month or two.

I've found regular old Turtle Wax liquid to be good for taking out little scratches under door handles etc. on a black '05 Accord.

For waxing the whole car, I have been impressed with the ease of use of Liquid Glass. It will not take out scratches like the TW, but it is easy to apply thin to a black car, and is VERY easy to take off which makes it easy to do more coats, more often. It's expensive, but available at Advance Auto (codes).

On my silver '04 Civic I use a spray wax (Eagle One or TW Ice) every time I wash, it does nothing for scratches but makes it look shiny especially on the black trim and rubber around the windows etc. which gives it a "well cared for" look.

Liquid Glass is seriously outdated and modern sealants far surpass it as far as ease of application, durability, and shine.

For an 8 yr old car I would have it Pro Detailed and let them work their magic on it, then you can maintain it, invest in some spray waxes and spray detailers
thumbsup2.gif

I am quite new on this car detail and wax so I haven't heard synthetic sealants before. It seems like they are good, expensive though..

How about the Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845? Is this product a sealant? if we compare this one with other synthetic sealants, what could we say?

The new turtle wax ice liquid has no white stuff. I was astonished how well it works on dark paint, in some cases hiding scratches. Its cheap, everywhere, give it a try.

Mequires new rubbing and polishing compounds on your orbital buffer will "cut" some clearcoat off. Good stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRA0lCXpzg

Last edited:
I have an 06 Civic Nighthawk Pearl (black). Best finishing wax for me has been Meg's NXT. Before I bought a PC DA polisher I used Mother's 3 step to some extent along with Meg's 3 phase. Tried the scratch removers by hand and it really is a PITA. A lot of elbow grease and it can be done...eventually.

With the DA I've now stepped up to Meg's 105 Ultra Cut, followed by 205 Ultra Finsh and then the NXT. Paint comes out with a mirror finish with major reflections. Scratches, spider webs all gone. This 3 step is only done once a year in the spring (after a good wash and clay). I touch up with NXT every couple of months and also spray detailer once awhile.

I've had best results with Collinite. I use the liquid insulator wax then the next day I put a coat of the double coat wax.

I have used the following Griot's Garage products on two black Volvo's in this sequence: wash, paint prep, dry, clay, machine polish 2, machine polish 3, pre wax spray, Best of Show Wax (2x) with orbital buffer. After this initial treatment only wash, clay and wax is required. The results are stunning.

I would recommend Meguiars ultimate compound for removing scratches and swirls and wax with Meguiars NXT 2.0. You will see the difference this product makes on a black car. Mother's FX synwax will do a nice job too. I personally like the look of NXT best on black and have had better longevity out of it than the FX.

Thank you very much for the answers. I am actually a bit confused at this point about what I am going to do. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to take pictures of the car.

As I said, I have a couple of deep scratches and so I want to fix them as much as I can. In this case, should I go ahead and get one of a spot scratch removers (like Mequiar's 2.0 or Quixx) or Meguiar's ultimate compound?

How about Mequiar's clay kit? It seems like my car needs to be clayed. Ultimate compound can be used for that purpose?

Thanks,

Trying to remove marring/cobwebs by hand on an eight year old black car is a fools's errand. You can buy the buffer, equipment, chemicals, etc., and learn to do it yourself or hire someone to do the work. Don't expect showroom results on eight year old paint but it can look a lot better. The Collinite #845 you asked about is one of the longest lasting true waxes known to man. It is a hybrid of sorts in that it seals for 6 months+ but still has the great look of carnauba. Yes, that you can apply by hand.

I got Mequiar's ultimate compound and Ultimate quik wax..Since Ultimate compound clean the surface I did not get clay kit!
Should I clay the car before apply ultimate compound?
Now I need a high quality sealant or synthetic wax..NXT? Klasse?

I also got quixx scratch remover for deep scratches! I'll post the pictures soon..

Clay first. NXT is not a high quality sealant. Collinite #845 costs less and lasts ten times longer.

Try some Duragloss Swirl Mark Remover. Contains diminishing polishing agents and a durable sealant. Nice stuff and about $10 on Amazon or Autogeek.net.

http://www.duragloss.com/Pre-Polishing-Agents/Swirl-Mark-Remover/8-oz.---Duragloss-SMR-(Swirl-Mark-Remover)

Alright guys! What I decided to do is that applying ultimate compound first then NXT 2.0 (I heard it's good for dark colors) lastly Collinite 845 as a last coat! it seems like quite tedious job. I am just hoping that I can apply these by hand. I dont have any polisher..

Originally Posted By: CivicLX
Alright guys! What I decided to do is that applying ultimate compound first then NXT 2.0 (I heard it's good for dark colors) lastly Collinite 845 as a last coat! it seems like quite tedious job. I am just hoping that I can apply these by hand. I dont have any polisher..

You should probably use the 845 before the NXT, and why did you get compound and not get polish?

Originally Posted By: CivicLX

Hope you have a good hospital nearby to reattach your arms when they fall off. Thats why I recomended the Swirl remover with sealant since your doing this by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back