Wix Oil Filter 51356 vs. 57356 - Honda Fit 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I used to always use the Wix 51356 filter on my fit. Great construction, black, with a silicone orange ADBV you can see through the inlet holes.

There was a revision that sneaked up where Wix says the filter for my car is now 57356. I had to dig for the reason as I was stocked with 51356, and it was due to baseplate design.

It is true, the 51356 baseplates do stick up further and the 57356 is more recessed, BUT, at the same price you get a much cheaper looking filter, with a nitrile ADBV and a [censored] white can with much smaller inlet holes on the base.

I have used three Wix 51356 with NO issues, no leaks, and feel like I am getting a good value with these filters. I have two 57356 in my stash I plan on using, then I would like to go back to just using the 51356 as I feel they are a better value and better made, especially at the same price.

The only problem is my engine looses it's warranty if there is a filter failure that causes damage... But the 51356 fit my engine perfectly and don't bind before the seal is against the block.

Is a silicon orange ADBV that much better on a horizontally mounted filter in almost arctic conditions or it doesn't make that much of a difference? I want to stick to the 51356, they are great filters.

If someone can help me choose what to do that would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have a lot of experience with Wix.

This is an old thread but my '12 fit wont run correctly on the 51356. IDK why but it appeared to make my variable efficiency oil pump regulator do bad things. I have used the 57356 with good results and I am trying the ACDelco PF2057 currently for fair weather use. The latest 57356 I purchased have Silicone rubber adbv now.
AFA mech differences from the 513 to 573, I think the numerous small inlet holes is for cold oil shearing and to prevent media damage. I see on various forums The factory honeywell (fram) filter is not well received and it dd not perform like the OEM factory filter which I would like to buy stateside.

ps:I noticed that Wix can unpredictably leak at the mounting flange gasket.

Thanks ARCOgraphite,

I am going to use one last 51356 in my stash and move on to the revised filter.

Did the 51356 you used on your '12 cause any damage? Or just throw a code? Maybe they aren't filtering anything on my '10...

I am glad to hear that the new 57356 now use silicon ADBV, so I don't feel too bad about making the switch...

There were some changes with Infiniti and Nissan applications of Wix filters. I have some samples of the new and old ones. Perhaps I'll post pictures. I wasn't thrilled with the switch to the nitrile ADBV in my application, either, but such is life.

I'm guessing the Bosch 3300 or similar is specified for your application. If you want a silicone ADBV, go for that filter. Also, as ARCO noted, if the 57356 now has a silicone ADBV, just wait, it'll make it's way up here eventually. A white canned Wix is usually older stock. The last white canned Wix I saw was for my old Audi a couple years back.

As for silicone versus nitrile ADBVs, as I said, I prefer silicone. However, I've used a lot of nitrile ones here in Saskatchewan, and my engines survived.

I have used both the 1356 and the 7356 with no issues on my Honda R18. If you cross reference filters in auto parts stores, many auto parts stores reference the 1356 equivalent for a Honda anyway. PureONE is one of those. I am using one on my car now (which resembles the 1356) and there are no issues. I will just be buying whatever is convenient. All the other ratings of the filters are identical as far as I can tell, just the base plate difference. I would keep using the 1356 if you like it more. I would.

Originally Posted By: Falken
It is true, the 51356 baseplates do stick up further and the 57356 is more recessed, BUT, at the same price you get a much cheaper looking filter, with a nitrile ADBV and a [censored] white can with much smaller inlet holes on the base.

Bingo! There you have it. The 51356 silicone adbv is better for your application and environment. It's especially perplexing considering you have been using the earlier spec's 51356 with no issues. I'd ignore the negative anecdotal experience posted here not reflective of your experience, especially considering the source.

That said, as you noted, using the 51356 you do put yourself at some warranty risk, however minor, with it's continued use. As long you understand no backing from Wix in the event of an issue, then it's your call. Why Wix chose to change the adbv to nitrile along with the tapping plate is beyond me.

And, looking at equivalent Purolator P1, Fram or Champ made filters, no such application modification(s) has occured.

Sayjac, Wix seems to have been playing with several applications, including for my G. No one else, except Wix (and obviously then NAPA), has changed the specified filter. Wix claims that in my application, the new recommendation is closer to the OEM specifications, whatever those may be.

For "warranty concerns," it's interesting to note that my Wix supplier here still has the old catalog on display that lists the old part number.

Yeah, I just went to Wix site to look up the filter for my 07 3.0L Accord, it too now lists the 57356, blah. I have a NG 1356 in my stash ready to go perhaps after a PL14610 OCI. So Wix has even back spec'd some older applications with the 57356.

Quite frankly, for the same price as the 51356/1356 I wouldn't buy the 57356, unless I had no other similarly priced silicone adbv alternatives. And, that's not a problem in the States.

Wonder if Wix is discontinuing the 51356?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
... I'd ignore the negative anecdotal experience posted here not reflective of your experience, especially considering the source.

I call you out, Sir! (Slaps face with glove). Idiocy.

^^^^Seriously? Being honest with yourself, you've reported more issues with filters and engines than any other member I can think of on this site. In fact, more than many members put together. If that point is idiocy, then so be it, I can accept that. No offense taken.

G'day mate.

I see my task as to observe and report with a modicum of editorialization. In solving a problem there may be written down thoughts aloud. Guilty as charged for being receptive to engine tune and state of mechanical health. T'was my job a ways back in the previous century. Our Family has owned many new cars in the past decade so i've broken in more than my share of engines lately. Many are afraid to express themselves openly on this forum for fear or embarrassment and reprisal and do so by PM only. That is truly a sad state.
-
The 51356 did not run properly when trialed in either amn '09 EJ253 Forester or the current '12 L15ge08 fit. I am unsure if the OP has the variable efficiency pump inb his/her '10 Fit that may add a whole new dynamic to oil and filter selection.

OT When an ample number of different branded filters, including the Fram XG and many others are posted as producing issues by a single individual, with no other posters here ever reporting the same/similar issues, scrutiny here is normal and appropriate imo. The same goes for prematurely failed engines by one individual, including two engines on the first day of ownership. Then combine the two under the same individual, and incredulity and skepticism is also appropriate imo.

To the topic, in this case the OP reported that he had already been using the 51356 successfully, ie., with no issues, none. His main concern therefore is his warranty, not other factors he's not experiencing.

OT When an ample number of different branded filters, including the Fram XG ...

lol.gif
... that one got locked.

Quite frankly, for the same price as the 51356/1356 I wouldn't buy the 57356, unless I had no other similarly priced silicone adbv alternatives. And, that's not a problem in the States.

Wonder if Wix is discontinuing the 51356?

For the 51365 > 51358 Wix switch, there aren't too many silicone ADBV options in Canada. P1s are very rare, as are RP filters. Fram Synthetic and M1 pop to mind. I can still get the Bosch 3300 online dirt cheap, but I have to order enough stuff to make shipping free. I've got enough filters in stock (silicone and nitrile) to keep me going for a while anyhow. The worst part is that the 51365 (originally speced), 51356 (oversize), and 51358 (current spec) all fit my G. The 51356 is the cheapest, and the 51358 is over a buck more.

I don't think Wix is discontinuing either the 51356 or 51365. For the latter filter, they've deleted most of the automotive applications from their list; it's now mostly OPE and commercial equipment listed, along with some Saab, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Honda, and other applications. For the 51356, along with the OPE and construction stuff, they still list various Dodge/Eagle, Ford, Mazda, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Plymouth, Saturn, and Suzuki applications.

Don't be so hard on ARCO!
wink.gif
Think of him as our own, personal test-to-failure troubleshooter.

I would use up the 51356 with no concerns.

I'm not familiar with Canadian law, so my advice may not be applicable up north. My advice is based upon US consumer protection law, but I suspect Canada has similar concepts. Check with any local source you trust for details.

Wix initially offered the 51356 as the "correct" filter, and only later changed their recommendation, right? On some level, they have culpability for that former offering, and should either warrant those remaining filters, OR, offer to exchange them for you for no cost.

I suspect it has more to do with the mounting pad application; the difference of "in-set" in the base plate. While your application might well work with the 51356 for 2010, perhaps there were changes in later models that necessitated the use of the 57356? (I cannot say for sure; only supposition on my part as I've not seen the applications up close).

From a parameter perspective, I cannot see why Wix would negate the use of your 51356 garage stock. Both filters have at or nearly the same bypass pressure, threads, size, gaskets, burst pressure, beta, etc. They are essentially the same.

If, (and that is a long stretch), you had a warranty issue, I'd ask Wix to explain how a filter that is fundementally identical in performance is somehow no longer applicable under their warranty?

Wix has a portion of their site dedicated to technical notices, etc. (It is under resources "technical bullentins" section). If they have a formal renouncement of application it should be there. It would have to be application specific and state that the 51356 is no longer approved for your specific application to negate the warranty implication that you enjoyed at the time of filter purchase. IOW - they cannot negate the filter warranty that accompanied your filter purchase, just because they came out with a "different" recommendation, unless they have justifiable proof that the former application was inadequate, and they formally retract the recommendation, via some type of recall.
Here is a great example from their site regarding fuel fitlers:
http://www.wixconnect.com/assets/WI-05-7...0FWS%207-05.pdf
Note how they specifically address the new filter, but also state that the old filter warranty is still intact!
To continue that example, they again changed the filter to this:
http://www.wixconnect.com/assets/33960.pdf
Here they did not mention warranty coverage. So, if you purchased the "former" upgrade, you're still covered. They are not going to replace your old filter with new ones, but they will only sell you the "new" design going forward.
The point? Product development marches on, but warranty is intact for any product you purchase UNLESS they specifically negate the warranty coverage and offer restitution to make the former purchase whole.

It would be akin to the concept of tires. Examples:
Brand XYZ tire company makes the "Milemaker2000" tire for your car in 2010. But in 2011, they quite making that tire, and start making the "MilePlus3000" tire for your car as the "new" recommended tire. They cannot legally negate the warranty that accompanied the former tires that you still own just because they "updated" to a new tire design, unless they formally announce that fact, and make provisions for reasonable updates via recalls, etc.

The same could be said for vehicles themselves. Ford no longer makes the 2009 Mustang, but their warranty provisions stay intact for the stated period, by law. They must make a formal announcement to change any conditions that were intact at the time of purchase, for the change to be legal.

In short, companies generally cannot sell you something with a warranty, they change those warranty conditions after the sale, without formal notice and offering to make the purchaser whole after the change.

So, unless Wix has a formal statement that now negates the use of your remaining 51356 filters, and makes provisions for you to get replacements at no cost, you should be OK to consume them (use them) in that application. A change in recommendation of product does not automatically negate former warranty provisions that would be intact otherwise.

Moving forward, the NEW filters you purchase would have to be the 57356 to attain warranty coverage. But at some point, you'd be out of warranty anyway, and then I'd use whatever filter you feel is "better" for your application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Wix has a portion of their site dedicated to technical notices, etc. (It is under resources "technical bullentins" section). If they have a formal renouncement of application it should be there.

It hasn't shown up yet for the change in his specifications or mine either on the main site or the Wix Connect portion. The Wix Connect portion has very little additional information in the way of bulletins beyond the regular Wix site. Perhaps with me not being a parts counter person or technician or so forth, I may not have access to everything, either.

As for me, I'm certainly not throwing out my "superseded" Wix filters, either.

As regards Wix continuing to warranty the 51356 for use in vehicles now calling for the 57356, there is the response from Wix to a member 09_GXP, as posted here (scroll). "... Wix will only warranty the filter we say to use only. If you install another one and it should cause any problems there will be no warranty on it through Wix." Thus, my intial response caveat to the OP regarding warranty.

But as noted, if the 51356 was previously spec'd and purchased as such, then the OP 'should' have some coverage. And the fact the OP is currently having no issues with current 51356 use is also a good sign.

That said, while I have a NG1356 ready for use in a Honda application, this change by Wix/NG might make me rethink future Wix/NG 5/1356 use, especially with many equivalent filters readily available from other manufacturers, for the same or less money.

OT When an ample number of different branded filters, including the Fram XG and many others are posted as producing issues by a single individual, with no other posters here ever reporting the same/similar issues, scrutiny here is normal and appropriate imo. The same goes for prematurely failed engines by one individual, including two engines on the first day of ownership. Then combine the two under the same individual, and incredulity and skepticism is also appropriate imo.

To the topic, in this case the OP reported that he had already been using the 51356 successfully, ie., with no issues, none. His main concern therefore is his warranty, not other factors he's not experiencing.

As a professional Mechanical Engineer and (former) NIASE cert Master, I ride in customer's vehicles where they feel the machine operates without issue, but in fact the may car have major mechanical problems. Therefore reports from Inexperienced non-professionals, those without extensive engine building and/or automotive service experience, or a trained ear toward engine harmonics will often be dismissed.

I can take extensive photos to prove mechanical issue with my fleet - but it would be a waste of my time. If you dont believe a Fram Filter doesnt fit on a 08 yaris - go ahead, use it and blow you engine to kingdom come.

As regards Wix continuing to warranty the 51356 for use in vehicles now calling for the 57356, there is the response from Wix to a member 09_GXP, as posted here (scroll). "... Wix will only warranty the filter we say to use only. If you install another one and it should cause any problems there will be no warranty on it through Wix." Thus, my intial response caveat to the OP regarding warranty.

But as noted, if the 51356 was previously spec'd and purchased as such, then the OP 'should' have some coverage. And the fact the OP is currently having no issues with current 51356 use is also a good sign.

That said, while I have a NG1356 ready for use in a Honda application, this change by Wix/NG might make me rethink future Wix/NG 5/1356 use, especially with many equivalent filters readily available from other manufacturers, for the same or less money.

Clearly this is basically about the thread engagement regarding the base plate, from Wix point of view.

As to the warranty, I cannot avoid the reality of what Wix tells you; your comments are certainly valid based upon what we all see.

But I will say, from my own several personal conversations (phone and email) with Wix, that their front-line personnel often leave much to be desired. I have often asked a question of them, got a canned answer, and when I challenge their response, I either get more blabber, or crickets (silence). I have never got a solid, well-reasoned answer from their front line personnel (the supposed "tech" help).

What they tell someone in a canned response, and what they would have to answer to in civil court in regard to consumer protection cases, are two entirely different topics.

Again, Canada law is likely a bit differnt, but probably predicated on the same concepts. In the US, a company cannot offer a product with warranty, then void that warranty upon supersession, without making the former purchase whole by either honoring the former warranty, or providing reasonable exchange, in a duration that would be "normal" as seen by a reasonable person. They most certainly can say "we won't warrant that application any longer", but they would also be bound to offer a reaonable alternative with credit given for the former purchase, or offer full restituion (money back).

If warranty is a concern, then I'd take the filters back, and get full credit for exchange. Just about any parts-counter personnel would accept them (in good shape) with no questions asked.

Think of the topic from a lube poit of view, and not filters.

Example:
My 2010 Fusion calls for the Ford licensed equivilant of SM oil. But SN is now the predominant lube.

If I previously bought a few cases of SM, so that I'm covered for a few years, the lube maker cannot simply void the warranty provided with my former purchase, just becase a "new" lube came out. They either have to continue to warrant the former purchase, or make some form of restituion (credit to new product or money back). Their former recommendation was warranted; it must be made whole in some manner. They can change their recommendation going forward, but they cannot ignore the past. Now, we all understand that lubes are most always backwards compatible, so it's not much of a big deal. But the point to understand is that when a warranty is proffered with a product, that warranty stays intact as long as the initial conditions are in play (i.e. - a 5 year warranty cannot be forced into extension just because you keep the lube 7 years ... etc). Just because the SN oil came out, does not make the SM lube unservicable for vehicles designed with SM (or previous revisions). No sane company is going to "buy back" millions of gallons of lube just because it was superseded.

So - back to the Wix filters. (I am presuming those of you who have these vehicles are correct in stating that the former filter was indeed a 51356). If that is true, and since Wix has no statement of filter expiration, the warranty must be honored, or restituion made in some manner. They cannot just abandon the warranty as if it never existed, just because they supersede the product with a revised offering. In effect, Wix either has to honor the warranty, or buy back the filter for that specific application we discuss here.

Wix own information on their site shows the two filters identical in performance (flow, burst, size, efficiency, etc). So this is about mechanical connection (threads and baseplate). Going forward, I'd buy the recommended filter. But I'd not let the current garrage stock worry me.

Last edited:
Well, after reading all the posts I have come to the conclusion that filters aren't a good thing to stash.

I have ONE left, and I am glad. If I bought a case I'd be really mad.

I only buy around 3 filters at a time, just in case you change your oil and have bad luck and it starts to leak out of a seam or something, so you just grab the next one and you don't have to take a bus to pick up another filter.

The Wix 51356 is such an old filter used on so many vehicles... Wix lost a lot of credibility (to me) with this one.

As Garak has pointed out in another post, up in Canada our filter choices are limited, we have no PureONE, FRAM is everywhere to the point of insanity (our WM is FRAM, no SuperTECH). We are an ocean of FRAM.

My only alternative away from the WIX teat is Mobil (K&N) filters but they are 16$ each, and I get no discounts from Canadian Tire. Before I did that I'd hunt down RP filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back