Anyone seen a UOA of Valvoline 20w50 4T yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide whether to run this or Mobil 1 15w50 in the Triumph Speedmaster. Both are pretty much the same in price just have to drive a few towns over for the Valvoline. Any idea if the Valvoline holds up well in a shared sump?

Its what i had in the sump of my R1 in 2009 when i blew the motor.. lesson learned. stick with 10-40 in a inline 4.

I wonder how different the Valvoline MC 20W-50 4T oil is compared to the VR-1 20W-50 Race oil?

The VR-1 dino or synthetic seems to do SO GOOD in bikes can the MC stuff be that much better?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hal2626
Running Mobil 1 15w50 in my 2008 Triumph Scrambler 865 (nearly identical to your engine)...shifts smooooooooth!

Yeah the only difference is I have a 270 degree engine and the scrambler is a 360. And cant recall, but 2008 scramblers might be carbed or injected.

I ran the M1 15W-50 in both my Speedmasters.

But I agree with ammolab - the Valvoline VR-1 (conventional) Racing 20W-50 turned out to be an excellent oil and that's what I'm now using.... and also in several Harleys.

There are a few UOA's out here for that VR-1 and it's quite impressive, especially for a conventional oil.

Last edited:
I am afraid you are mistaken. My Scrambler IS a 270 degree motor and carbed. Bonnies and Thruxtons are 360's. I should know,I own one...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hal2626
I am afraid you are mistaken. My Scrambler IS a 270 degree motor and carbed. Bonnies and Thruxtons are 360's. I should know,I own one...

You are correct sir. I assumed all the "classic" range had the Bonnie engine.

I thought I had heard that VR-1 was NOT safe for wet clutches (such as the OP's Triumph, I believe). The VR-1 gets excellent reviews when being run in other bikes without wet clutches (or at least being run in a non-shared sump). I would not use it in your Triumph.

Yeah, Im not going to use VR1, just wondered how the 4T synthetic seems to perform in shared sump air cooled motors like mine.

Originally Posted By: ABerns
I thought I had heard that VR-1 was NOT safe for wet clutches (such as the OP's Triumph, I believe).

whether you heard that correctly or not, either way its wrong.

VR1 is certainly usable in a wet clutch.

I just posted a UOA on the Conventional Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil. I wanted a 20/50 for summer, normally I use 15/40 HEDO's. Seems to have held up well.
I havent looked to hard at the VR1 but at a glance looks pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

whether you heard that correctly or not, either way its wrong.

VR1 is certainly usable in a wet clutch.

That is awesome, then! Next oil change I am using it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back