Service engine code P0430

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 98 Chev Suburban, 5.7 L just displayed a Service Engine Soon warning. The Code I got said P0430 which in the book says; Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 2. Would this be the Catalytic converter on the passenger side or an Oxygen senser?
Thank you

Have you had the cats replaced you usually will get this code depending on what type of aftermarket cat is used.That is what the code is about.

Last edited:
Use a spark plug anti-fouler on the rear o2 of that cat. Costs about $6. I've had one on now for 2 years. Passes tailpipe emissions easily. In my case Toyota has the catalyst efficiency settings at 95% (mostly good). The difference between what these manufacturers are setting the efficiency at, and what the states are passing is way off. People are replacing $500 cats for nothing. I bet your efficiency is set way too high too. The anti fouler corrects that difference and puts the CEL light out for good. Its an easy fix. Ridiculous to fail inspection for a lit CEL with nothing wrong.

Last edited:
PS Your cat converter doesn't like oil burning, doesn't like high oil content fuel cleaners like seafoam and mmo. Keep those out of your gas, use the PEA fuel cleaners like techron or Red line Si-1.

It is the passenger side cat. Without any accompanying codes, it is more than likely the cat. A dealer can monitor the cat's efficiency while the vehicle is running and driving, and also observe O2 sensor behavior. That is the only way to be sure without playing hit and miss.
Do you have any other codes, p0139, p0136, etc.?

Originally Posted By: raidermark
Yes you are right, I have beed using MMO im
in my gas, you think I sjould stop?

Yes stop. I mentioned this because its how it happened to me and why I use the anti-fouler. I just looked up Nevada to see if they perform a tailpipe smog emission test. "Nevada uses On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) Testing for 1996 and newer vehicles." Was all I could find, so I'm not sure if your state even checks tailpipe smog emissions. If they do, the results of the test should be on the inspection receipt. Those readings will tell you how efficient your cats and engine are performing. If your well within the range, the cats are fine and its as simple as putting the light out with an anti-fouler. If they don't perform tailpipe smog tests, the anti-fouler to put out the CEL is all you need.

Just went through this with my Highlander. I replaced both O2 sensors and the light has not come back. Cheaper than a new CAT for sure. I have to go get it smogged to so I hope it passes.

In your case sounds like a lazy pre-cat o2/AF sensor was overwhelming the cat with too much fuel, tripping the cat efficiency CEL. If you cleared the CEL manually after the o2 replacement with a battery disconnect, your not out of the woods for a while until the ECU relearns. Replacing the pre-cat o2/af sensor is a 1 in 10 chance of fixing. If you were that 1, good! If not, you have a Toyota with the catalyst efficiency set way too high, and your cat is fine.

I never heard of an anti - spark plug fouler. Is that is what it is called at O'Reilly's or Auto zone? I will give it a try. This is a replacement converter that Meinke did 4 years ago. How does the fouler connect to the O2 senser?
Thank's for your help.

Your basically modifying a spark plug anti-fouler for this use. I use the short ones because heating of the sensor is important. Just enough to pull the REAR o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream and plug its nose. videos of how to on youtube. Its basically a drill to widen the hole where the sensor sticks through. Then the sensor screws into the anti-fouler, the anti-fouler screws back into the exhaust. Done.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...9&ppt=C0334

AAP

Note:
That size (42009) is for an o2 sensor that fits my car. Verify your o2 sensor fitting. There are other sizes.

Last edited:
So far I have the foulers that will fit the tailpipe but the Chevy Suburban senser is too big for the 1/2" drill size that was recommended. 9/16" might work so I'll get that tonight & you all posted. If 9/16" is still too small then it looks like I'll be out of luck.

You want to drill it out as small as possible so the sensor tip barely fits through. Just angle the drill bit you have in a circular motion, use the sides of the bit to widen and file it down. you'll get it. Don't hit the threads, is all you need to worry about. Try using just one. If need be the second one not drilled out screws on top of the one you drilled to block it off completely. Better to use just one if possible

A P0430 is Bank 2. Your putting that on the rear/post cat o2. I think the passenger side is bank 2, you need to verify. Give it a day or so of driving for the CEL to go out on its own so you know its working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back