Preferred truck for pulling a 5th wheel camper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chevys_n_Hawgs

Is it a dually? 4wd? And what is you fuel mileage?

My fifth wheel is 33' long and weighs 11,000lbs. I've been pulling it since 2007. My 07 Ram with the 5.9 averaged 10-11 towing the fifth wheel. My current Dmax also averages 10-11.

My Ram was a 3500SRW quad cab 4x4 with 3.73 gearing.

My Chevy is a 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with 3.73 gearing.

DSCN0715.jpg

JESUS, NOT ALL 6.0 FORDS ARE BAD! my 6.0 will start EVERY time I crank it and runs fine. The body is MUCH MUCH better than the POS Dodge. The AAM axles in the dodge from 03-current SUUUCK. go over to trailer life. It seems line 19/20 dodges have AC issues and HVAC issues that require $1000 dash removal. Weak front wheel bearings on the 03-current 4x4s.

Chevy's seem to have gauge cluster issues up through 07. The push button 4x4 can fail early-Who gets the sissy push button 4x4 anyway?? IFS is not as strong as the SA. Chevy's interior looks like it was designed and put together by Fisher Price and the preschoolers.

Afoulk,
We replace 4-7 front weak bearings a week on the 3rd gen Cummins 4x4. They are a VERY poor and expensive design. Dodge's front ends have been junk for decades..EVERYONE knows that. Shoot even people like myself that bought a dodge JUST FOR THE MOTOR.

If this were for a 2010 to 2012 pick-up I would have no problems recommending a F250. That being said buying a used Heavy Duty Diesel is such a [censored] shoot and the vintage the OP's Son is trying to buy, I recommend a 2500HD GM truck with a duramax if he does not want to buy a dully.

But I agree with you the 6.0 PS got too much bad press, but I am not going to touch that potential landmine.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Afoulk,
We replace 4-7 front weak bearings a week on the 3rd gen Cummins 4x4. They are a VERY poor and expensive design. Dodge's front ends have been junk for decades..EVERYONE knows that. Shoot even people like myself that bought a dodge JUST FOR THE MOTOR.

I didn't realize they were that bad. I work with a three guys that have 3rd gens. and they havn't had any hub issues yet (all 3 are 4x4's). I had a 02 2nd gen and was constantly working on the front end, it was the main reason I got rid of it. Our warranty guy has a 98 2wd that he pulls his camper with and hasn't done a thing to the front end yet.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Well, my son just bought a 5th wheel camper. A 33 footer with 3 slide-outs. Now he's on the hunt for something to pull it. Here is some of the criteria for what he's looking for. 3/4 ton, diesel, preferable pre-smog engine configurations. I've always been partial to Chevys. But I'm not so sure the Duramax is the best for his situation. He's leaning towards a pre-2007 Dodge with the Cummins 5.9. The Ford Powersmoke I have unfavorable things about. I just want you guys opinions and comments. Thanks gents.

We also tow a 33 foot 5th wheel trailer with our truck.

Go to RV parks and web sites for feedback. I did and the overwhelming choice was Dmax. Bought my 09 with 6k miles on it and could not be happier.

Gets great mileage and tows the RV effortlessly.

Is it a dually? 4wd? And what is you fuel mileage?

I have gotten 19 unloaded in the city! I averaged over 12 last year on a 3000 mile run through the midwest pulling the rig.

It's a 2500HD, no dually needed if you're set up right with a 5th wheel rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back