Questions for any HD Shovelhead guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got news that I have inherited a 69 electra glide that is pretty much cherry with low miles. Now I know the Shovel motor has a very mixed reputation being the AMF era engine with some years being preferable over others. Is there any tips or endemic problems I should be aware of for a 1969 era shovel?

Oh and anyone reccomend a good oil? I was probably going to use VR1 or Kendall GT1 in 20w50

VR1-60WT is what i would use. 69 is pre AMF
grin.gif

I knew that AMF bought HD in 69, but was not sure if the 69 model was affected or not.

So did these early Shovels with the generator have any eccentricities I should know about?

Better stick with the straight grades-50,60,70. winter-spring-summer. I owned one for 10 years,it was a first year-1982-FXR. 82 and 83 were 5 speed shovels. I put an oil cooler on it and then switched to 20w50 without any problems other than perhaps a little oil consumption. I have a buddy that has an old FX with a cooler on it and I have actually seen him use a calibrated thermometer and take a reading under 200 degrees at the oil bag in summer after a 10 mile run using good ol' Harley 20W50 Dino,fwiw.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I had my choice of a 2010 Ducati or the 69 Harley. I picked the vintage iron without any sort of hesitation.

But its been sitting for a long long time, so I gotta get the carb rebuilt or replaced, new tires, and will put a new chain and sprocket on it while I am at it. This thing will get ridden. Hopefully I like it, but if not, It will be a good piece of vintage HD to trade for a more modern unit.

Benn running a 20w50 for many years in my 78 without any issues in fact, the multi brought the temps down significantly from a straight 50w.

Dennis

Thanks guys, the bike was not really my kind of bike. Like em stripped, lean, and low...chopperish. So I took this and traded it to an old Harley nut for a Dodge Demon that was in super good shape. Plan on dolling her up and either keeping her or selling her and buying a new Harley. Depends how the old Mopar impresses me when she gets some work done.

Check the carb fuel inlet, if its plastic change it. I had one almost set me on fire while driving when it broke.
I forget what year the bike was exactly but it was in that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back