Virgin Castrol Edge with titanium 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running this in my Prius right now. I think it has about 3,000 miles on it and it's significantly darker than QSUD was.

I think the most impressive stat is the 10.6 TBN, but the oil also maintained its viscosity really well after a 4900 mile run in my ecoboost!!!

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Why doesn't Blackstone know the purpose of the titanium additive??

Great question? Why don't they know?

Does anyone know.... or have information.... on the benefits of titanium ?

I was expecting a higher dose of TI, those are the same levels that are in the Mobil Super oil line up. I like the high dose of Magnesium, makes the oil look like a HDEO instead of a PCMO.

Yeah, I love the add pack!!!!had seen an analysis of this oil on ALS tribology, the Blackstone report came back almost identical. I think this oil is very durable, something my UOA proved!!!...as far as the Titanium, I don't know whether 40 ppm is worse than 70 or 80 ppm, I don't much care...I like the durability of the oil in this engine!

Blackstones probably think the Titanium is just snake oil that only replaces some of the Zinc as an anti wear additive. This alternative additive is real good for one thing and that is a new advertising image. Next thing some oil chemistry expert will include tiny traces of Gold, then we really would have gone over the Edge in marketing terms.
Some folks are making comments on the oil without a comparison oil run, so it would be good to see a UOA of another top of the range oil in use followed by the snake oil Edge to see if it really is better. Castrol Eddge is a very good oil designed for long service intervals, but I doubt if it is worth the extra cost in comparison with other top brand fully synthetic engine oils, Like Mobil 1, Amsoil and Liqui Moly Synthoil.

Last edited:
Castrol products are overpriced. But it is not snake oil sorry, I am not even a fan of Castrol but in actual use it performs just as well as any other out of the bottle API certified synthetic.

I don't know, but they just dropped one more level of respectability in my eyes. How can you be in the business of analyzing motor oils and not have heard of titanium-based antiwear additives?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I don't know, but they just dropped one more level of respectability in my eyes. How can you be in the business of analyzing motor oils and not have heard of titanium-based antiwear additives?

This puzzles me as well. I do know that different people run the samples and my guess is some of them don't know a thing about motor oils but just know how to run the equipment and read universal data available to them for comparison.

In fairness to Blackstone, I would suspect that some of the people running the equipment are more technicians than they are chemists. That being said, it's not like it's a giant secret that titanium is being used as an anti-wear additive or that sodium is found in several oils. Confusion arising from sodium (especially if a previous OC used an oil with a sodium based additive package) is understandable. I don't think many engines have titanium all over the engine to shed metals.

Maybe they're like the X-ray techs. They know your bone is broken, but they have to leave it to the doc to make the diagnosis.
wink.gif

It's interesting to compare this one with the Kendall GT-1 semi syn 5W-20 VOA posted at about the same time. There may be some variation between labs but the Kendall seems to have more additive, particularly titanium.

Im sure they do but then will have to explain its just another marketing gimmick. Gosh everyone, Castrol was the first company to invent super cheap synthetic oil made from group 3 oils.
Castrol is a marketing company. Throw in another chemical to make the product sound good, create a reasonable expectation that it might help prevent wear and then make it sound like a super premium supplement that they make 800% profit on. Guess what? Moly prevents wear too but I am sure costs way more money then titanium.
Yet who cares, show me the proof is all I care about and there is none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back