New Cedar Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
We just put up a new cedar privacy fence along one part of our lot. It is real cedar, so it looks and smells beautiful. I could sit by the fence and just inhale the aroma.

So obviously I want to protect and keep it as best as I can.

What's the best approach? The run of fence isnt that big/long, so I could easily apply anything in a fairly short time... Just need to know what to use. Dont want to loose the smell or color if I can avoid it... But also want to protect it further from water and damage from critters walking along top...

Thanks!

Leave it as it is, and it will last many years, but it will soon turn Grey.

Sikens Cetol is a popular outdoor finish for Cedar out here.

Sikkens Cetol is probably the most UV durable wood finish product out there. Outlasts varnish on boats, but at 25$ a quart, it better be a tiny fence.

I like the look of weathered cedar. I think unless you plan on re applying something like a transparent stain every three years, it would be better to leave it age.

When a finish like Cetol or varnish goes too long( 1.5 to 3 years depending, then it needs to be sanded off entirely and re applied. Not fun A Stain can just be re applied when it no longer beads water.

But I look forward to more experienced replies than mine.

Originally Posted By: expat
Leave it as it is, and it will last many years, but it will soon turn Grey.

Sikens Cetol is a popular outdoor finish for Cedar out here.

We have a similar fence and did this, i.e., nothing. The wood has turned grey and a few boards have fallen off as the contractor used a brad type nail gun. I go back with stainless screws as they fall off.

Sikkens is about the best product out there. However once you apply a coating to that fence you'll lose the nice aroma you mentioned, and be married to apply a coating at least every two to three years, depending on the elements and its exposure to the sun.

I hope you used stainless steel nails/screws or something that is specially coated for use in cedar wood. Otherwise the nails will rust due to a chemical reaction with the wood and leave rust stains all over.

House I owned many years ago. Mid 1980s I put a split rail ceder fence up on road frontage. 3 tier. Sold that home,moved etc. Drove by it last year. Fence still up and looked great. Brought back old memory's as I hand dug fence post holes,put fence up my self etc. About 650 foot of ceder fence.

One important thing, don't let the bottom of the fence touch the ground. It will act as a wick and absorb moisture from the ground even if it's not raining. Thompson's water sealer is great stuff and not too expensive. Get one of those cheap hand pump, 5 gallon yard sprayers, fill it up with Thompsons and hose the fence down but don't do it on a windy day and try to keep the spray off the plants.

I coat all outdoor cedar with a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. Coat it heavily and wipe off the excess after an hour of soak time. Do this every few years or so, whenever the color starts to fade. This will keep the wonderful color of the cedar, make your cedar really pop, and it will maintain the cedar smell (once it has dried).

Sikkens is the only product I know used high end carpenters where folks put expensive woods down on decks. They recommend nothing else.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I coat all outdoor cedar with a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. Coat it heavily and wipe off the excess after an hour of soak time. Do this every few years or so, whenever the color starts to fade. This will keep the wonderful color of the cedar, make your cedar really pop, and it will maintain the cedar smell (once it has dried).

I don't mind the cost of sikkens, but I have both of these so might be a good choice. Easy to refresh too.

Smell it while you can.
You can prolong the new look with treatment, but that is a lifetime commitment -work and money. Like a patio or deck, you have to keep at it.
I'd let it age evenly and just keep it repaired.

Whatever finish you decide on, don't let the bottom of the fence boards touch the ground [unless it's rock, gravel or concrete]. The end grain will wick moisture up into the wood and it'll rot over time.

Second, this also happens on top of the boards [the other end of the end-grain]. So apply a water repellant on top to seal the end grain from rain.

Third, using fasteners approved for cedar contact will prevent black streaks from forming over time as the cheaper stuff will rust. Stainless, coated or hot-dipped galvanized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back