Dodged for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new UN regulation would be a good thing.

Obviously, it isn't needed in the USA, but other countries that are struggling with drug cartels or warlords would definitely benefit.

Whatever we are doing with gun control (or lack of it) is obviously not working. We seem to have one or two mass murders a year in the US which is unacceptable in a civilized society. The ability to bypass current laws in gun shows and private sales needs to be straightened out among other things.

I am not saying we need to have strict gun control, but its obvious what we are doing now is not working.

how about less gun laws? i mean sure certifiably insane people shouldn't have them but the normal population . if we all carried guns maybe crazy people who try mass murders would get shot and stop the problem before it gets way out of hand. i dont need the govt to police me or my guns. you can make whatever goofy law you would like it isnt going to change anything. criminals dont follow laws. criminals want gun control. so the avg person does not have a fire arm makes their career as criminal a lot easier.

More gun laws? Lets make drugs illegal and maybe they will go away.

If you put in harsh gun laws, the illegal weapons will flow in through the docks and over the borders. The crimianls will have a field day just like they did in Prohibition when alcohol was illegal. The real key is to get a good background check system in place that incorporates psychiatric data, criminal data, etc. Nobody who has had psychiatric episodes should be allowed to purchase a weapon. And the background system should be US wide. It is inconceivable in the age of computers that states can't get this right and learn to enter data promptly and share it with others.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
More gun laws? Lets make drugs illegal and maybe they will go away.

If you put in harsh gun laws, the illegal weapons will flow in through the docks and over the borders. The crimianls will have a field day just like they did in Prohibition when alcohol was illegal. The real key is to get a good background check system in place that incorporates psychiatric data, criminal data, etc. Nobody who has had psychiatric episodes should be allowed to purchase a weapon. And the background system should be US wide. It is inconceivable in the age of computers that states can't get this right and learn to enter data promptly and share it with others.

You should read the article before you open your mouth.

Originally Posted By: Donald
We seem to have one or two mass murders a year in the US which is unacceptable in a civilized society. The ability to bypass current laws in gun shows and private sales needs to be straightened out among other things.

I fail to see the connection.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
The new UN regulation would be a good thing.

Obviously, it isn't needed in the USA, but other countries that are struggling with drug cartels or warlords would definitely benefit.

This.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Whatever we are doing with gun control (or lack of it) is obviously not working.
The ability to bypass current laws in gun shows and private sales needs to be straightened out among other things.

There is no "ability to bypass current laws" in gun shows. If you think there is, you are very mistaken. Gun control does not work and never will work in a country as big as the USA.
Sure in a small, island country like England it can work, but it will never work here, it is a total waste of time.
The cold truth of it is that you will never be able to completely stop these terrible mass murders, gun control or not. Even if guns didn't exist in America, the real psychos like the guy Colorado will come up with a different method of mass murder.

In before the lock!

Oh, let's not do anything to our gun laws so more crazy people can buy guns. nice!

We can't stop weapons from getting in the hands of bad people. But we can limit the damage by controlling the type of weapon. A tweak to the 2nd amendment to stop automatic weapon sales is all that's needed. There is no need for a machine gun hunting ducks. The prior law needs to be reinstated and strengthened. Constitution is intact, and we are safer.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
A tweak to the 2nd amendment to stop automatic weapon sales is all that's needed.

Automatic weapon? Not many of those legally sold.

There is no need for a machine gun hunting ducks.

This doesn't happen. But the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting.

A tweak to the 2nd amendment to stop automatic weapon sales is all that's needed.

An automatic (as in fully automatic) weapon hasn't been used in any of the recent mass shootings. Plus, a citizen can not legally own or purchase a brand new full auto weapon without essentially getting a federal Firearms license and a class 3 license. The amount of scrutiny one goes through (not to mention the cost), is astounding. The BATF will come check the cleanliness of your sheets!

You can legally purchase fully automatic weapons registered before 1986 in some areas, but it costs a small fortune and you'll go through huge scrutiny. I doubt the nutcakes that do mass shootings could get a sheriff to give them a tax stamp.

Automatic weapons for sure aren't a problem. Which, yet again, leads to the slippery slope.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
An automatic (as in fully automatic) weapon hasn't been used in any of the recent mass shootings.

Your right, in the recent Colorado massacre it was only a "semi-automatic" Smith & Wesson model M&P15T rifle with 100-round drum magazine capable of 50 rounds a minute that killed them them all (and jammed). I feel better knowing that. He didn't get to his Glock 22 is a semi-automatic handgun with a 15-round detachable magazine or his pump action A Remington 870 shotgun.

Regardless, I think letting the law below expire was a mistake. It appears to cover the weapon responsible for the deaths.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) (or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act) was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms, so called "assault weapons". The Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired on September 13, 2004.

An automatic (as in fully automatic) weapon hasn't been used in any of the recent mass shootings.

Your right, in the recent Colorado massacre it was only a "semi-automatic" Smith & Wesson model M&P15T rifle with 100-round drum magazine capable of 50 rounds a minute that killed them them all (and jammed). I feel better knowing that. He didn't get to his Glock 22 is a semi-automatic handgun with a 15-round detachable magazine or his pump action A Remington 870 shotgun.

Regardless, I think letting the law below expire was a mistake. It appears to cover the weapon responsible for the deaths.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) (or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act) was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms, so called "assault weapons". The Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired on September 13, 2004.

You could buy AR-15s, 100 round mags, GLOCKs, and 15 round GLOCK mags throughout the "ban." Not sure how that would have had any effect.

Originally Posted By: hatt

You could buy AR-15s, 100 round mags, GLOCKs, and 15 round GLOCK mags throughout the "ban." Not sure how that would have had any effect.

Then that other law was bogus and not strong enough. I do not support the removal of the 2nd amendment, but I maintain a tweak to the 2nd amendment to stop automatic weapon sales is all that's needed. The make and model "semi", "full" is irrelevant. ANYTHING that fires more than one round at a time. It wont stop people from doing bad things, but it will help protect against a massacre.

Talking about how something wont work is no progress toward a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back