Pennzoil Platinum European Formula 5W30 mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Get some Pennzoil Platinum Euro Formula5W40 for RX use. If it isn't rebadged Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (and I'd need convincing) then it has no ester or PAO and is an ideal choice for RX use. I have it in my BMW right now with two full bottles of RX for a 6,200 mile (10,000 kms) clean.

Its not PP Euro, check the MSDS, it does not use the Slack wax base, and is only SL rated. All new Shell is SM rated with the slack wax.

If "sludge removal" in a sensitive turbo application is something you are after, I would have the following words:

A bottle of ARX tossed in with a dino or Group III for about 2-3K miles followed up by a couple oil changes in the 2K range, again, with regular dino (get a group III synthetic if you are uncomfortable), will have more cleaning power than the PP claims by a long shot. After cleaning is complete, use German Castrol 0w30 and enjoy that engine for another hundred thousand miles without worry on reasonable OCIs. For the sake of comfort, you might repeat ARX treatments once and awhile on those shorter OCIs with dino/III.

Last edited:
Old thread but thanks. I was looking for the Pennzoil European Formula since they show it on their website. Can't find it anywhere! I guess I'll stick to Mobil 1.

If Pennzoil doesn't want to sell it, why have it on the website?

Originally Posted By: gregsmini
If Pennzoil doesn't want to sell it, why have it on the website?

We've been asking the same question for years now...

Originally Posted By: CSwrex

Found it on Amazon, however they are out of stock.

It's been out of stock since pretty much forever.

Well I ordered a case of 6 and it said that it wasn't in stock but would ship within a few days, so I guess we will see.

Is this for your WRX? Does it actually require a low-SAPs oil such as this PUE 5w-30? If not, you'd be better off with an oil with a more robust additive package...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is this for your WRX? Does it actually require a low-SAPs oil such as this PUE 5w-30? If not, you'd be better off with an oil with a more robust additive package...

No, I was just seeing if it was available. Amazon said I would receive an email when they got the oil in stock. I can cancel the order at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back