5w-20 in 100 degree heat? Will it protect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ram01
10w30 is still alive and well

Whatever anyone else says here, a modern 10w-30 dino will do an excellent job of protecting just about any typical modern gasoline engine and also those less modern in the USA today.

10w-30 is an especially good choice if you live in the southern or western part of the USA, while for the most northern parts 5w-30 or 5w-20 will do a fine job.

I always like to mention that no matter what you choose, if the car is under warranty make sure you use the manufacturer recommended oil and weight to prevent any issues if warranty work is needed. After that time you can be more independent about what you use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
10w-30 is an especially good choice if you live in the southern or western part of the USA, while for the most northern parts 5w-30 or 5w-20 will do a fine job.

Why? I live in the south in (usually) 100+ heat all summer long and 5W-20 has not ruined my engine yet, nor do I expect that it will anytime soon nor has it ruined any of the millions of other engines for which it has been specified--if there was such a problem with xW-20 in the litigation capital of the world, we would have seen lawsuit after lawsuit about this. Ford has literally millions of engines running 5W-20, with no mass recalls, no lawsuits, no pile of cars on the side of the road...blah...blah...blah.

Why is there such a need to second guess the engineers that have far more education and experience than an extremely high percentage of us here on BITOG? I guess I just do not get it...

I will not either. It does not matter how you explain it to folks that even in this heat for the engines spec'd for 20 grade oil there is plenty of viscosity buffer they just can not believe it. This just reminds me of the stories why Ford quit putting real pressure gauges on their cars and trucks.

Also the oil in the sump is affected by ambient temperatures to a extent, but it is not that much especially in our pick-ups. It would be less than 10 degrees from around 70-115F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back