Cheaper firearms brands- Any of them any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been shopping around on Cheaper Than Dirt and Buds Gun Shop lately, looking to maybe get a 9mm or .25 ACP, for target or just for protection. Alot of the cheaper guns I see are made by companies like Phoenix Arms, Hi-Point, SCCY, CZ-USA, etc. Anyone have experience with these and can comment on the brands? Thanks!

I've heard good things about Hi-Point's pistols. For the price, you get a decent firearm. Check out YouTube as there's alot of reviews of stuff like that.

Still, I'd rather buy a quality firearm; but in my opinion if you can't Hi-Point's firearms, well...work, its hard to complain about. Shoot decent, feel solid, had no jamming issues on the range when I played with one...

Last edited:
All I can say is do your research so that you won't regret your first purchase.

Also, look at the cost of ammunition. You will need several hundred rounds to become ok at shooting. Much like painting or playing an instrument it is a perishable skill. If you do not go shooting, you will lose the ability. So the cost of ammunition can easily eclipse the cost of the firearm if you practice regularly.

.25 ACP is actually more expensive than 9mm just because of availability. Fewer people own small .25 cal pistols than once did so there is little demand for the cartridge.. Also it isn't that accurate nor does it have enough energy to be effective in a defensive situation.
On the other hand you can get 9mm ammunition just about anywhere. It is one of the most often used cartridges in the world. Therefore there is an abundance of makers of 9mm ammo and a great deal of demand.

If you want a small fun plinking pistol, try a .22
If you want a defensive arm that also is fun to plink with then look at a full sized 9mm.

For a first pistol I would recommend going for a full sized firearm. Smaller models of pistols, although more easily carried are more difficult to shoot due to lighter weight (less weight equals more recoil) and smaller sight radius.

Go to a gun store and handle every pistol you can. Get a feel for what you can. Rent a firearm you like and see if you still like it after you put 50+ rounds through it. See what fits you and develop your own opinion.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Go to a gun store and handle every pistol you can. Get a feel for what you can. Rent a firearm you like and see if you still like it after you put 50+ rounds through it. See what fits you and develop your own opinion.

This. Great advice.

Kel-tec has served my dad well for several years.. he carries a palm sized 9mm. dad has very expensive guns, and lots of them.. but he prefers to carry the small lightweight Kel-tec. Ive shot it, Kel-tec performed just fine with no jamming through a few magazines. I would consider this a affordable option.

Also agree with dparm..

I'd avoid the bargain brand like Hi-Point and Phoenix Arms. Stick with .22, 9mm, or .38/.357. I'd go revolver if you're in the sub $300 range. Sub $200 would be a .22. Nothing wrong with used either. Bud's has used S&W M10 for $269.

I have a KelTec P11, it is what I normally carry. KelTecs can be picky about ammo, they are a little rough around the edges. I polished my feed ramp and I do trust it to feed hollow points now. I have only had one failure, I beleive I limp wristed it the recoil is snappier than a full size 9mm. The double action only trigger sucks as well. It is not a fun gun, but with practice it shoots well and is super comfortable to carry. I have read mixed reviews about the PF9s and really all KelTecs, but I am happy with mine.

I have never shot a CZ but I have never heard anything bad about them.

Taurus and Ruger are very good guns for the $. They have the lowest cost for the best performance.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Been shopping around on Cheaper Than Dirt and Buds Gun Shop lately, looking to maybe get a 9mm or .25 ACP, for target or just for protection. Alot of the cheaper guns I see are made by companies like Phoenix Arms, Hi-Point, SCCY, CZ-USA, etc. Anyone have experience with these and can comment on the brands? Thanks!

I have several Hi Points, and they are big and ugly, but the ones I own, that I have had a chance to shoot, have been completely reliable. My .40 is a tack driver. I typically keep that .40 in the desk at my office. The material quality and finish is low, but they (mine) work quite well.

I did my concealed carry with the first generation SCCY. Never shot it before, just took it out of the box and shot the test. I rather like the little SCCY, but there is a significant quirk with it: it recoils like a mule, and you need to have a really good grip on it, lest you actuate the totally unneeded safety. There's a kit to remove it, and it may be removed from current models. The accuracy on mine is good enough, but not great, and the material quality and finish is medium low, about like a Kel Tec. OK, but nothing to get excited about, just an inexpensive weapon.

CZ's are top tier weapons in design, finish, and materials. They're very accurate, wonderful guns, I wish I had more of them.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Taurus and Ruger are very good guns for the $. They have the lowest cost for the best performance.

Right on! Taurus, especially, has some great guns loaded with features for good pricing and the quality gets better all the time. I've got several Taurus guns from my first one purchased in the late 1980's to my last one purchased last year. All have been flawless.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
CZ's are fine pistols!!

Yep, up there with the best
cool.gif

If you saw a cheap CZ, it was probably a used CZ82 in 9mm Makarov, otherwise CZ is not a cheap brand. They are usually less expensive than some other premium brands but are top notch defense and sporting guns.

I would avoid Hi Point, Cobra, Phoenix...ect. The 25acp is about worthless, only better than throwing a rock. There are stories from WW1 of the round not having enough power to penetrate a skull at 25 yards. They just bounced off leaving a nasty cut and a bad headache.

If you want to shoot, I recommend you get a 9mm or 22lr. Now, if you get something like a CZ75, Taurus PT92, Beretta 92 or a Glock 17 you can get 22lr conversion kits for them.

Go handle lots of name brand guns at a gun store, see what points well for you and feels good.

I have a Hi-Point 4095 carbine, 40S&W. Fun gun, shoots and shoots. Only issue I've found is that you need either the tool provided or something to adjust the front sight. It's well made, no sharp edges, and functions flawlessly.
In many cases, there isn't IMHO, a 100% correlation between price and quality. More expensive guns are normally finished better but that doesn't mean the function is better or more long-lived. My case in point, Ruger vs. S&W revolvers. Many, many will rave over the "smoothness" or fine finish on the Smith vs Ruger. Nobody, and I mean nobody will argue that the Smith is tougher, or better suited to a lifetime diet of full-power magnum cartridges. Pretty only goes so far, tough lasts forever. Buy a gun that does the job, don't obsess over the price. Value is what you're after.

S&W and Ruger are at least in the same league. I wouldnt use them as a comparison to a 150 dollar handgun like a High Point. Ruger and S&W have put through the ringer by law enforcement agencies as well as by the U.S. Govt for service pistol trials. The S&W 3rd gen was a police dept staple for years and the Ruger P series actually serves in the tanker corps of the military as a sidearm.

Until you get a hi point passing the muster to serve in any LEO or military unit, or at-least their tests, you wont convince me a 150 dollar blowback gun is as durable as a 350 dollar Ruger.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I don't think CZ belongs in that class. Also don't forget Kel-Tec

+1

+2 for Kel-Tec

I like to have similar pistols. I have the ruger p90.45 The p95 9mm, and a walther p22, along with a ruger lcp. With the exeption of the lcp, all the pistols work the same, the safeties are in the same place , so no matter which one i practice with or which on i grab in the dark, its the same procedure with the safety. I can grab any one of them in the dark and its familiar to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back