Generic ATF Drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to put some drain plugs on the ATF pans on my Jeep and Z4. Anyone know of one that works well?

I've used the B&M tranny drain plug on a couple of my vehicles, although I don't currently have a vehicle with it on. It seemed to work just fine. For this application, you drill a hole in the pan, assemble it and tighten the nut. This particular one is available on ebay or a lot of your mail-order shops and quite often it's priced under $10. I think there's also a generic no-name version that's priced slightly lower.

Looks like the nut inside the pan that holds it on sticks up quite a ways and would keep 1/6 of an inch of fluid from draining....

Originally Posted By: montero1
Looks like the nut inside the pan that holds it on sticks up quite a ways and would keep 1/6 of an inch of fluid from draining....

Good call - this is going to be a drawback with most add on plugs.
Still they can be quite handy, even if you are going to take the pan off, it is way less messy. If not, you still get a whole lot out.
If you put one in, weld it or secure it real nice. Like JB weld in addition to the tightening nut.

Originally Posted By: montero1

True, but even pans with a factory plug are threaded or stamped in such a way that that you can't completely drain it. Not a big deal IMO.

Joel

Before you start drilling holes see if you can't find a pan with a plug at the dealer. They will surprise you sometimes with prices lower than you expected. Then try the aftermarket. Dorman has pans with plugs for many applications. Mopar Performance should have one for the Jeep, as should B&M and the various transmission parts suppliers.

An aluminum pan will offer improved cooling of the fluid in the pan versus the stock stamped steel pan.

Do you go off-road much ? You need to consider ground clearance.

A sixth of an inch isn't anything to be concerned with. Just tilt the vehicle towards the plug, which should be at the rear of pan.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back