Toyota 4SFE not so bullet proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used Japanese import Toyota LiteAce van (SR40) running the trusty old 4SFE but someone has neglected it big time. Managed to get to 135K km (84m) before coming in to work complaining it was making funny noise. We had to put a new (2nd hand) engine in it. The owner said they've serviced it since owning it but I'm guessing no amount of fresh oil could have saved this

c36020120719092318.jpg

I would have tried a lot of PYB and MMO before I bit the bullet on a engine replacement, that might have been saveable...

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I would have tried a lot of PYB and MMO before I bit the bullet on a engine replacement, that might have been saveable...

crackmeup2.gif
good one!

10,000km/6200mi 10w-30. I'd say the owner in Japan hadn't serviced in a while before it was imported here.

Haha they had to chip that sludge off, it wouldn't come off with a rag.

Ive seen a few imports like that in my time. Most are well looked after in Japan but there is the odd one that never gets serviced. Vans are always a worry, not loved like personal cars and worked a lot harder over a life span.

Some regular servicing after all that neglect is probably what killed that engine. Id say the pickup is blocked. If not for that, it would probably keep going.

The way insurance works in Japan they basically favour people throwing out their cars and buying new ones. Its often cheaper then to foot an enormous insurance bill for an old vehicle. Thats why those kei trucks come over by the boatload to this country for cheap.

Unfortunately, when you plan to huck a vehicle anyhow, why maintain it? Looks like the oil was never changed. Shame.

What are Kei trucks?
If you can buy a Japanese import that has been in Japan a long time it is usually a very good car. As you say, it costs a lot of keep an old car there.

Originally Posted By: SXE10
10,000km/6200mi 10w-30.

So let me get this right:

The Oil Change Interval on this engine was 10,000km/6200mi on 10w-30 oil.

Yet another picture/situation not to be **** bent on extending OCI's out too long.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
10,000km/6200mi 10w-30.

Yet another picture/situation not to be **** bent on extending OCI's out too long.

Bingo a picture is worth a 1000 words, and proved once again extended OCI's are not for everyone.

10,000km/6200mi 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
10,000km/6200mi 10w-30.

Bingo a picture is worth a 1000 words, and proved once again extended OCI's are not for everyone.

Looks like you guys need to reread the posts. It's a USED import.

Long oil changes fo' life!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
That engine could be made to run again, but it might need some TLC!
laugh.gif

I think so too.

I'd like to express my concern RE: misleading subject line.

My 2c's worth calls for the fact that nothing is "bullet proof" if the user/owner/operator chose to neglect/ignore maintence, that's the end of the line.

Q.

Too many people that buy Toyota's confuse "bullet proof", "last forever" and "very reliable" with "I dont have to maintain it". I hear it all the time. People proud of the fact they "dont do anything". Misguided thinking. The missing word is "if". If you take care of it, if you change the fluids when you should, if your not a cheapskate or a procrastinator they will do what the quotes say they will..

FWIW it was totally neglected, ticking but still running. The word "bullet proof" applies - even more IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back