94 Honda Accord ac compressor cycling every minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed this recently. Today is hot current temp is 85 humidity is about 80%. Car is at operating temp, turn ac on compressor runs solid for about two minutes first time on then will cycle on and off about every minute or two.

I figured that it must be low on r134 but, I recently had the radiator replaced (and I know that a number or wires that interact with the ac fans probably was moved in the process to repair it by the shop)

AC experts reply. Thanks.

My Civic cycles every 10-15 seconds.
My Saturn ran constantly, literally no stopping when A/C is on.
Unless thats unusual for that car, I would say its just normal.

That doesnt sound bad if it truly is on the timeframe of minutes. If it were 10 seconds, Id say you are low in charge.

I can be anywhere from 30 seconds to maybe just under a minute, I don't know when the last time it was charged probably at least 5 years ago.

I can say that when the compressor is engaged it cools effectively and there is a decent amount of condensation draining from the evap. So the compressor appears to be working effectively and to spec. Like I mentioned before the radiator was recently replaced and although I can't say I paid close attention to it I don't remember it cycling this much. I wondered if perhaps a control wire to the rad fans was damaged or something similar.

If anyone has a similar model and year Accord please chime in. My guess is that the AC is identical on the civic models from these approximate years as well.

Just like to make sure I thank you guys here, I have asked a LOT of questions about this car lately. Not to mention that the dealer a authorized Honda dealer has done some outrageously hack like workmanship on it.

I'm sure the car itself is great the only problems I have had is related to the hacks at the Honda dealer!!!

Last edited:
When its /monstrously/ hot outside I've had my AC rapid cycle like that. The hotter it is, the faster you lose refrigerant pressure to cool the car, the more it needs to turn on the compressor. You *could* be low on freon, something to watch, but its not impossible to get alot of short cycling.

The hotter it is, the higher the high side pressure, I suppose. Maybe you hit a high side cut-out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back