Homemade fuel stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may have seen my post a few days ago about homemade seafoam. Mainly I wanted it for cleaning out engines...but seafoam is also supposedly a good fuel stabilizer.
Ingredients:
Isopropyl alcohol
Naptha
Oil

Does that sound like it would stabilize fuel to you guys? Doesn't seem like enough ingredients to me.
smile.gif
I'm guessing the alcohol is the main stabilizing agent? It's one of the main ingredients in stabil too isn't it? If I was going to mix up something just for stabilizing fuel, how do you suggest I do it? The oil, for example, I don't think would be necessary. The reason I ask is because I can get large amounts of 99% isopropyl for free.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
-*-*-*Isopropyl alcohol-*-*-*-*
-*-*-* If I was going to mix up something just for stabilizing fuel, how do you suggest I do it? The oil, for example, I don't think would be necessary. The reason I ask is because I can get large amounts of 99% isopropyl for free.
grin.gif

stay away from the alcohol.

A form of oil if selected properly will help
and a form of the naptha too, but you need
not worry about coming up with a brew, there are plenty of good products on the market...

Just wondering if you just have an iquisitive mind and plenty of time on your hands or what?
If you dont drive much, you wouldnt need much stabilizer. Just dump in the appropriate amount and you're done. If you do drive a lot, you dont need it at all. So why not just spend the $3 and be done? If you make your own and goof the mixture, you'll be out a lot more than the price of a bottle of stabilizer. If you happen to get it right, you'll have suceeded in duplicating a product that already exists and is fairly cheap. I dont get it.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Lordy611:
*-*-*If you dont drive much, you wouldnt need much stabilizer. *-*- If you do drive a lot, you dont need it at all. *-*-

All people need something to treat their fuel.
A stabilizer among other things has anti-oxidants... kinda like vitamins, they fight the bad stuff that will decay the fuel and work with other additives to enhance the performance... It is a good idea to use something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back