ATV Front Differential Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My manual calls for front differential fluid of a 10-40. I was at the dealer getting soaked for a bottle of final drive fluid and asked one of the mechanics a few questions.

Have read not to use synthetic in the front diff due to slippage. So I asked the mechanic about this. He said not a problem at all in the front, it's only the rear wet clutch that you would have an issue with.

He even went so far to say I could use a gear oil like M1 75-90. I have a bunch of the M1-75-90 and would like to use it...but am kinda spinning over all the yes you can and no you can't answers.

Anyone out there wanna share some advice?

Mine is 06 Brute Force 750.

I have a 2010 Brute Force, you use engine oil in the front differential--not gear oil. Gear oil would be entirely too heavy for that application and as it only takes 0.4 quarts, it is a very simple OC. I used Rotella T-6 in my last OC, but I will be switching to Mobil Super on the next one to see how it performs.

The rear differential takes wet brake lube, but even it is about 10W-40 in viscosity. I would not use gear oil in either axle on that ATV.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I have a 2010 Brute Force, you use engine oil in the front differential--not gear oil. Gear oil would be entirely too heavy for that application and as it only takes 0.4 quarts, it is a very simple OC. I used Rotella T-6 in my last OC, but I will be switching to Mobil Super on the next one to see how it performs.

The rear differential takes wet brake lube, but even it is about 10W-40 in viscosity. I would not use gear oil in either axle on that ATV.

Thats why I posted -- I was surprised as [censored] when the mechanic said it was ok to run gear oil. I'm going to just throw in Rotella 15-40. Like you said its easy OC. And i'll be doing it often enought I won't worry about it.

I wanted to hear your thoughts though.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Thats why I posted -- I was surprised as [censored] when the mechanic said it was ok to run gear oil. I'm going to just throw in Rotella 15-40. Like you said its easy OC. And i'll be doing it often enought I won't worry about it.

I wanted to hear your thoughts though.
I did a few UOAs on the axles and the copper is quite high on initial OC and it was still high on the 2nd (but has halved itself).

See here: BF Front Axle

These axles work quite hard and with no filter and 0.4 QT capacity, I think the secret to longevity is very frequent OCs.

PS...I would be very skeptical to take the advice of this particular mechanic as it seems that he does not know the specifications of the ATV.

Thanks for the advice. The rear is so simple it's
smile.gif
to change out. Front is a bit toucher to get the fluid it. I used a turkey baster this time, but it took a while. If you found a simpler way please pass it on.

I'll be checking out the analysis as well.

AND: Took the Brute out yesterday...fresh fluids all around....and got her stick in some nasty mud! Front end under water. TIme to change fornt diff already!! Some 3 miles later!

I love this machine! So much fun.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Thanks for the advice. The rear is so simple it's
smile.gif
to change out. Front is a bit toucher to get the fluid it. I used a turkey baster this time, but it took a while. If you found a simpler way please pass it on.

I'll be checking out the analysis as well.

AND: Took the Brute out yesterday...fresh fluids all around....and got her stick in some nasty mud! Front end under water. TIme to change fornt diff already!! Some 3 miles later!

I love this machine! So much fun.

I turn the wheels to the right and use a long stem funnel to fill the front differential. I also place a drain pan under it because laughingly, I can never accurately measure 0.4 quarts of oil--just seems wrong for that differential to hold such a small amount. The turkey baster may be the best of both worlds. For the rear, I am using Kawasaki Wet Gear Lube, but I want to find some Shell Donax TD or Mobil 424 to use instead as the cost of the Kawasaki oil is way overpriced (and 1 good "bath" can be all that is required to have to change it).

I picked up 20 quarts of Mobil Super 10W-40 (not JASO rated but we do not have a wet clutch either) for mine during the last round of AZ specials. I ran Kawasaki 10W-40 for the first 2 OCs and then used Rotella T-6 (and had planned to keep using it), but with the frequent OCs that are required, the T6 is a waste of money. Also, I am using a PureOne PL14610 oil filter although the stock filter is also very beefy on the inside (just costs more than double the P1).

This ATV is the best one I have ever owned. Power is unbelievable and mine is all stock. Some of the guys on the Kawie Riders forum (good source of information for these ATVs) have more than doubled the HP on some of their units (so I can only imagine the power). If you are into it, there are tons of mods for these bikes. The only mod I have done so far is to add a full skid plate from Chuck (on the Kawie Forum) and change the stock springs on the front and rear with a set of Highlifters. Thus far, I have not needed anything else, but we mostly trail ride, so not a lot required for that.

Just curious as to why you cant use gear oil in these diffs. Most all ATV's i have owned used regular gear oil. What makes these ones different?

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Just curious as to why you cant use gear oil in these diffs. Most all ATV's i have owned used regular gear oil. What makes these ones different?

Not sure about the front differential; I am only following Kawasaki's specifications and that is to use engine oil. For the rear differential, it is a wet brake (like the one on a tractor) and therefore requires wet brake lube. I am using Shell Spirax S4 TXM (formerly Shell Donax TD) in my rear differential--Mobil 424 is too expensive around here).

Not sure about the front differential; I am only following Kawasaki's specifications and that is to use engine oil. For the rear differential, it is a wet brake (like the one on a tractor) and therefore requires wet brake lube. I am using Shell Spirax S4 TXM (formerly Shell Donax TD) in my rear differential--Mobil 424 is too expensive around here).

Interesting, the Yamahas and Hondas I have owned used gear oil in the diffs and engine oil in the transfer case. Wonder what the difference in thinking or construction is?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Cmarti

Interesting, the Yamahas and Hondas I have owned used gear oil in the diffs and engine oil in the transfer case. Wonder what the difference in thinking or construction is?
21.gif

For the rear, is Kawasaki the only one to use a wet brake (i.e. the disc is in the oil in the differential)? I can definitely see the need to wet brake lube for the performance of the brake. For the front though, there is nothing overly special about it other than it will only hold 0.4L of oil. I change this after every ride--0.4L of oil could be smoked in nothing flat and 1 pint of engine oil is definitely not going to break the bank no matter what I put in there.

I have a 2007 Suzuki King quad that calls for Mobil 424 in the rear, because of the wet brake. But it calls for 80wt gear oil in the front, and 10W-40 in the crank case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back