FRAM XG7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. I picked this up last night and was presently suprised when I opened the box. The ADBV is HUGE! Can feels a little light, but the filter itself has some heft to it. I gotta say, I am impressed.

BTW, how do I post pics of it? Do I have to use some other pic hosting site?

nm...I just read the FAQ...

Last edited:
That particular line of Fram filters is top of the line in quality. Fram gets bashed a lot on here but the Xtended Guards are well built filters that can go 10-15k no problem in a well maintained* engine.

*well maintained meaning non sludged or sludge cleaning phase. Welcome to BITOG

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Fram filters are the best

I've got to agree with you 100%. While we are on the subject, the best restaurant in the world is your nearest McDonalds.

I phoned FRAM to enquire about the Ultra filters. The person I talked to said that I should start seeing them in Canadian Tire in the next month or so. Oil change is due now, so I will use this and then by an Ultra for the next one. The filter that is coming off is an Amsoil filter that has done ~5000km (3500 miles). I could probably use that filter again, but we just came back from a trip and I would up having to replace the oil along the way (Amsoil MCV 10W-40) with Yamalube 10W-40 dino so I want to get rid of as much of the dino that I can.

This filter is going on a bike, it is bigger than the stock size. The bike doesn't see anything even remotely like an extended drain interval, so I hope that it isn't sludged up or anything.

Last edited:
Did BITOG unwittingly get ripped for the Adplay: 'You would not protect yourself with cardboard so ....' If so, Where's my royalties?!

Last edited:
The XG (now Ultra) is definitely a good filter and probably the best for the money that you can get right now.

But holy cats!!! What on earth takes a filter so tiny you can hold it between thumb and forefinger like that??? I guess its about the same diameter as my wife's PT oil filter, but shorter. Wow.

This filter fit's Mazda's 2.5l V6, and a whole bunch of other things. 3.47" x 2.69".

The filter recommended for my application is only 2.75" tall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The XG (now Ultra) is definitely a good filter and probably the best for the money that you can get right now.

But holy cats!!! What on earth takes a filter so tiny you can hold it between thumb and forefinger like that??? I guess its about the same diameter as my wife's PT oil filter, but shorter. Wow.

The 7317 size is used on most Hondas and Nissans (actually there's smaller filter used but this one fits).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sillicon
This filter fit's Mazda's 2.5l V6, and a whole bunch of other things. 3.47" x 2.69".

Its probably a particularly good filter for smaller sizes like this. The higher efficiency/shorter life filters have more restriction through the media, and will go into bypass more often. This filter has a lot of similarities to a Royal Purple filter, except for a less expensive filter medium. The RP filter is a spec-build from Champion Labs... a great filter, but frankly the Fram XG probably beats it on peformance/price ratio IMO. And I've bashed Fram over the years as much or more than anyone else.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Its probably a particularly good filter for smaller sizes like this. The higher efficiency/shorter life filters have more restriction through the media, and will go into bypass more often. This filter has a lot of similarities to a Royal Purple filter, except for a less expensive filter medium. The RP filter is a spec-build from Champion Labs... a great filter, but frankly the Fram XG probably beats it on peformance/price ratio IMO. And I've bashed Fram over the years as much or more than anyone else.

Why would a 2 ply synthetic media that includes a screen be considered less expensive?

Have you seen the Champ filters that Champion Labs builds? "Thermally bonded non-metallic end-caps".

The other companies that they build for must spec metallic end-caps.

Champ Labs Champ filters

Yes, and don't forget that Champion Labs also build the "E-core" junk, too. Point being, they'll build a truly superb filter IF the company that contracted them for it specifies superb construction. And their "superb" filters (eg. M1 and RP branded filters) are not identical by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back