Do you get the oil change "itch"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand.
I have hundreds of quarts of oil I've bought either dirt cheap on clearance or FAR.
Still, however cheap the stuff was, you should still at least get some reasonable use out of it.
The BMW is now close to the 4K I wanted to run the Nexgen Maxlife, but not quite there.
I have two more jugs of FAR Nexgen Maxlife 10W-40 waiting for their turn, as well as four jugs of red bottle Maxlife.
I'm anxious to drain the oil and pull a sample, but I will wait until I have 4K on the oil, probably next week, maybe this one if I do an optional out of town trek for work before the end of the week.
I do want to see the UOA, though.
We'll see if I'm right about residual TBN.

It's been driving me crazy to to drain out the factory fill in my new Si. But I'm at 7700 miles and just at 50% oil life... I got excited at 2k miles when I had to top off half a quart. But the dang thing hasn't lost a drop since! Still looks nice and golden, too...

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
It's been driving me crazy to to drain out the factory fill in my new Si. But I'm at 7700 miles and just at 50% oil life... I got excited at 2k miles when I had to top off half a quart. But the dang thing hasn't lost a drop since! Still looks nice and golden, too...

Sounds like a "Control" issue... the manufacturer's oil choice isn't good enough... have to replace it with a personal choice.. I've felt that way too.

Every car is different... I have one Ford car that was my favorite I've owned... Always bought Motorcraft everything for it... after about 2 years of owning it, and looking at all my other cars thriving on the aftermarket stuff, I decided it was OK to use Mag1 in all of them. My car doesn't need "Special" treatment. It works for my 2 other cars, why not this one too.

I have lots of good Amalie/Wolf's head oil in the garage, but I just can't get myself to use it until I'm out of Mag1.. it's just a personality thing.

I don't get the oil change itch, but my dad gets it badly. He wouldn't want to go 5,000 miles on full syn, even if his OLM tells him that there is significantly more oil lefe left

More like, I don't want it to run over the warranty mileage or something, than the itch to crawl under my truck. Or if I'm planning a trip, or it's coming due, and I know I have time now but may not in a couple/few weekends.

I am getting the oil change itch right now. I am practically agonizing here!

It's cold right now and my oil has been in service for 9 months. I wonder if I should change it so I get better cold performance.

At the same time I only have 9,500 km on the oil. I want to change it over 10,000 km.

I also do 95% of driving in the city with trips 30 min or shorter so I am wondering how severely is the oil affected by this.

There is also some rare warm days in the winter and I am getting the itch since it's a good opportunity but at the same time I am so close to my OCI!

I am thinking about this practically everyday.

2+ year old thread reborn.....camrydriver111-just change it on the next warm day - keep it topped off, no harm done. I have the opposite itch, I never want to change my oil. But I do it a couple of times a decade whether it needs it or not.

I get it all the time! Had to talk myself out of changing my gf's oil a few hundred miles too soon yesterday haha.

I get the itch and will stop using synthetic so I can go back to 3,000 mile oil changes....I don't care if it's a waste of money its has to be cheaper than explaining to a therapist about my oil addiction. I really don't know how some guys can go 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Last edited:
When I buy a new oil I haven't used before, that's when I get the itch to do an oil change, just so I can see how the new oil feels.

I used to get the itch pretty bad, still do a little bit but I'm determined to let my oil go 10k miles. 8k miles in now since late August.

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
I get the itch and will stop using synthetic so I can go back to 3,000 mile oil changes....I don't care if it's a waste of money its has to be cheaper than explaining to a therapist about my oil addiction. I really don't know how some guys can go 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Some of us drive a lot. 10,000 miles is roughly 12 weeks of driving for me
grin.gif
Even though I like changing oil and working on my cars I think I would get tired of changing my oil every 3 weeks.

To answer the original question sometimes I get the urge to do some maintenance related activity on my vehicles. If there's nothing really left to do though I just call around and ask friends or family if they need some help. There's always someone and I usually get some good food or a beer out of the deal. Win-win for both parties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back