strut mount squeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 98 saturn has done this for awhil. Whenever. I turn the wheel going slow or sitting still itll squeak. Basically. Sounds like the rubber mount is rubbing on something. Ive replaced the mount once and fixed it for a few months and then it came back replaced it again and it still did it. It works fine and if you take it apart you wont find anythings wrong. You can grab the coil spring and just jerking in it will cause the noise. And the hotter it is outside the worse it sounds. Anyone have any suggestions? Its annoying but trying to fix it didnt fix it. What should i do?

I dont have the quick strut though. I have a monroe sensa ttac strut with whatever mount comes from advance auto parts. I had master pro on there and after a couple months they would start squeaking. this one did it immediately.

If you know for sure it is not the top bearing plate maybe try soaking the bottom of the spring pocket with a silicone spray and see if that will seat the spring better in the rubber sleeve ,,If that don't work i would try a bit of trans fluid instead

Again? Oh man! So you just bought the strut and transferred the hardware. Maybe the old mounts are gone, time to replace them. why I do the complete assy. Not that much more expensive, prevents being nickel and dimed to death.

Well the assembly is known for issues. I replace everything but the spring. When i did the strut. Then did bearing and plate again and again. They wouldnt squeak for a few months and then they would start it up. The spring is actyally able to rotate ever so slightly in between the strut and the top isolator. I dont understand why though.

to be precise in my explanation the coil spring isnt moving. the isolator on top has a little rotational movement to it that is causing the squeak. but why i dont know.....

The quick strut that is offered has the samr issue. Which is why i didnt get it. I think im going to get another mount and do it tomorrow

well i took it apart and the only thing i found was the bearing could spin with moderate effort on the bearing plate. the new bearing plate doesn't do that. i put it all back and it still squeaks. there is nothing wrong or bad!!! errrr its very frustrating.

The springs are insulated by rubber. That rubber gets crushed and deteriorates over the years causing a metal to metal creak. It could also be the body itself. Yeah, it has plastic body parts that keep it looking rust free, but the metal uni-body and strut tower could be deteriorating considering the age of the car.

it isnt the car its definitely the strut mount. you can move the insulator by hand and feel the noise. there isnt a spot of rust anywhere on the car. the rubber insulator looks good its not cracked or anything . the insulator sits on the bearing. the bearing is the only thing touching the metal bearing plate. but the bearing is in good shape as well.

when i took it apart i greased the contact points with lithium grease and nothing. my guess is that is how tohese [censored] aftermarket parts are made and unless i i buy new everything from kyb or Gabriel im going to have the same issue. alot of the house brand parts are monroe and the moogs are junk to go figure.

well i replaced the whole mount and isolator and it still freaking squeaks. I'm having an alignment done tomorrow and I'm just going to ignore it. i think the bearing is rubbing in the isolator and causing the squeak but there is no good reason why. i used a Gabriel mount this time. maybe the coil spring isn't holding it in tight enough? i dont know but i guess I'm going to live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back