Under the Valve Cover - 2003 Acura 3.2TL 98K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bourne
Yup, I keep hearing how gutless Honda engines feel. I personally haven't experienced a lack of torque.

Nobody ever brings up the fact that the J35's torque peak is FLAT from 3,000 rpm through 5,500 rpm, at least in MDX tune. Few other high-winding 3.5L sized V-6 engines also make 250 lb*ft at 3,500 rpm. Our MDX will go into TCC lockup in 5th gear at 48 mph. That's a lopey 1,400 rpm. Unthinkable for a Honda engine!! No, it'll cruise around at 1,500 rpm or under all day. 70 mph is less than 2,000 rpm.

Heck, even the 2.4L 4 in our CR-V rarely exceeds 2,500 rpm in "normal" driving in traffic.

Modern Honda engines have plenty of torque, at least in my somewhat limited experience. It's just that the midrange is more impressive, so it gets more of the attention.

Exactly, I shift up to 5th gear and OD the moment i exceed 45 mph under light throttle conditions and 75 mph is approx 2250 rpm or so. 70 is right at 2000 rpms. Yet at the same time, 2nd gear redlines right before 80 mph. Freeway ramp warrior , this car is ....

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Lol ouch!

Timing Belt , water pump , tensioners , pulleys , both drive belts , 3 engine mounts , 2 trans mounts , valve adjustment , trans drain and fill.

Parts were roughly a grand ( used OE where I could ) , labor surprising $300

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Pull the other cover!!!
banana2.gif

I did , its just as clean. Just harder to take a pic from the angle against the firewall using a phone.
Looking good. The rear bank is often varnished in early 2000's. Possibly because the PCV goes to the bank near the firewall.

^There ya go, keep that PCV valve cleaned (probably hand in hand with other areas of maintenanec to help keep the PCV system working fine) and g2g.

Prolly explains why mine was quite clean, I did change the PCV valve. Im surprised PCV doesnt exist on most manufacturers service recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back