Valvoline MaxLife 5W-40 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't we get it in North America?!

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/maxlife/cid%28612%29/maxlife_synthetic_5w-40/product-information

This would be ready made product popular with Bitogers in applications such as classic cars, performance vehicles, Jeeps, Saturns, VW's, etc. and would compete with Rotella T6...

$(KGrHqF,!o8E63YcC(sRBPCqSk)bsg~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:
My guess is because it would compete with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40, which is already rarer than hen's teeth at the usual FLAPS. I've never seen UOAs on VML 5w40 so for all I know they may be very similar in formulation.

VPBE really plays up its CES 20081 certification and makes it sound like it's only for trucks; VML 5w40's product info looks like it's mainly geared toward passenger cars... but that may just be European marketing vs USA marketing. I know Cummins & Valvoline are linked, which helps explain it somewhat.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Add Valvoline 5w-40HST to the list too of difficult to obtain.

It is at WM here. I have not checked the parts stores.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: typ901
Add Valvoline 5w-40HST to the list too of difficult to obtain.

It is at WM here. I have not checked the parts stores.

You sure its not 5W40 MST instead of HST ? Seems MST is more in circulation here in US.

Why does Valvoline use the MST and HST acronyms on the spec sheets yet not put that anywhere on the bottle? What is the silver bottle I see at Pep Boys and similar stores?

By the way, the SynPower MXL 0w30 looks awesome too. I've heard that it is rich in PAO and group V. Not available in the US.

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(608)/synpower_mxl_0w-30

There's also SynPower 0w40 in Europe. Very impressive specs too.

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(611)/synpower_0w-40/product-information

Originally Posted By: dparm
What is the silver bottle I see at Pep Boys and similar stores?

If it's the 5w-40 grade, then it's MST. The HST version is only available as a shop product in 55-gal drums.

Thanks for clearing that up. What does MST/HST stand for? And why do they have two different products?

I believe MST stands for mid-SAPs Technology, and HST stands for high-SAPs Technology.

The MST has a weaker add pack and lower TBN. Therefore it is suitable for modern diesel engines with DPF due to lower sulfated ash content.

HST is closer to something like M1 0w-40 - higher TBN, good for extended drain intervals, meets MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01 specs.

HST is higher ash (1.26 vs 0.75). HST's KVs are a bit higher, and the ZDDP + calcium levels are indeed higher.

Both MST and HST are VW 502/505.

HST is higher ash (1.26 vs 0.75), but TBN is almost identical.

The spec sheet I'm looking at shows TBN of 7 for MST and TBN of 10 for HST.

Still, why isn't HST available at B&M stores...

I've been asking the same question for years.
smile.gif

In reality though, unless you're running super long OCIs, the somewhat weaker add pack of MST shouldn't be that big of an issue. But if you consider the fact that M1 0w-40 costs about the same, I'm not sure I'd buy the Synpower anyway.

That's why Valvoline needs to drop the MaxLife flavor of 5W-40 in the States. I think that niche move would get them more cred and attention than the NextGen stuff and their Synpower combined. While Mobil 1 0W-40, Edge w/SYNTEC 0W-40/5W-40, SOPUS 5W-40's are all great oils, a unique high mileage synthetic with name recognition and excellent reputation would boost their sales here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back