Ilsac vs ACEA A3 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a 2000 Toyota Rav4 with the 1AZ-FE engine. 75k miles and it does mostly short trips every day. The manual calls for an "energy conserving" Ilsac 5w30 (or 10w30). It runs fine except for a puff of smoke in the morning which I am not too worried about (stem seals I assume)

This maybe an Australian thing but dino 10w30 is much cheaper than anything 5w30 but tends to only have SM Ilsac ratings. 5w30 maybe either ACEA A3 only or Ilsac with or without ACEA A1/A5. I have no interest in the fuel savings of Ilsac oils. So ideally what is the best type to choose? Are the straight SM Ilsac oils all I'll ever need or will I benifet form using something with an ACEA rating?

The family also has 2 older Nissans with the SR20DE engine (Nissan spec 7.5w30). A 91 and a 97. Pre Ilsac I assume. Can I use a 10w30 SM Ilsac oil in these or should I go for something with an ACEA rating? I've been using 15w40 untill now. Thanks for your time

A 5W30 may provide better protection since you state the Rav4 sees mostly short trips. But you are in Australia I would just use the most cost and time effective quality oil you can find. Given the choice of 10W30 and 15W40, I recommend 10W30.

Personally, given your climate is very similar to ours, I would go with a synthetic 5W-30 or 5W-40 meeting ACEA A3/B4.

A friend of mine has a 2000 L4 camry with 134000kms.From day one until now nothing but Fuchs GT1 0w-20.No oil consumption at all in between services.(He change oil and filter every (15000kms/one year)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Supercheap Calibre 5W-30 synthetic...

What do you think about this being C3 low SAPS?

Originally Posted By: toyota62
A friend of mine has a 2000 L4 camry with 134000kms.From day one until now nothing but Fuchs GT1 0w-20.No oil consumption at all in between services.(He change oil and filter every (15000kms/one year)

Sounds like an overkill. What does that stuff cost and where do you buy it?

Thanks for the replies. I probably did not word the original post very well. I was hoping someone would comment on the use of SN/SM Ilsac GF-4/5 oil in these old engines which originally called for SJ or older oils.

If I do use an Ilsac oil, can I assume GF-5 is preffered over GF-4?

5w30 is not that commom overall here, most is GF-4/5 but I have found Penrite make an SL 5w30 GF-2 dino oil and Castrol sell a 5w30 SL A3 full synthetic under the Edge titanium series but that one is expensive.

The GF-5 oil I hae my eye on is Mobil Super 2000 5w30 semi synthetic. It a good deal, easy to get and only the Penrite dino is cheaper.

Last edited:
A significant difference between SJ/SL and SM/SN 30-weights is a 20% decrease in zddp content. SJ/SL allowed 1000ppm, and SM/SN allows 800ppm. The Penrite SL 5w30 sounds OK.

Newer anti-wear additives containing titanium and molybdenum are being used. Mobil is big on using an organic tri-nuclear moly additive that is very effective in the range of 75 - 200ppm. Kendall and Castrol are using a titanium additive (TiO2 I think) sourced from Afton Chemical in their oils to help anti-wear, but I'm not sure what concentration is effective. Many posters here are enthusiastic about how cost-effective the Kendall oils are. Kendall also uses the titanium additive in their 15w40 semi-synthetic HDEO, so "Titanium" is probably more than just marketing hype.

So in your opinion is the Mobil 5w30 SN/GF-5 ok to use? Mobil recommend this oil in their lube guide.

Would it be a better idea to use a 40 grade? Australian made oil lube guides all suggest a 40 grade, like 5w40, 10w40 and even 15w40! OEM seems to count for nothing around here.

Last edited:
Would it be OK to use? Yes it would be fine. But like I stated on my original reply you are in Australia I would just use what you can get your hands on for a price you are willing to pay.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Yes, do they make up for the lack of Zinc some other way?

Roller lifters, mostly, on newer engines. Overhead cam engines don't usually need that much zinc in the oil anyway.

M1 5w30 is the same but it is a stupid price over here at $85/5L. I bought the Mobil 2000 5w30 on sale for $31. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back