400°C Oil Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, it's even more unreadable when you translate it...

And if 400F then yes probably not uncommon. 400C then probably maybe in a tiny area for a very short period of time. Like milliseconds.

Last edited:
I am sorry but I did not read on the test temperature. But I was to decipher where the author bashed "American" Mobil for only using 30% PAO for M-1 0W40.

Even if there are parts of the engine that reaches 400F the oil would pass thru and over in milliseconds. So unless this was a "flash" test this is pretty unrealistic.

most engines don't reach this kind of temperature at all, but I do think it's interesting.

There was a Synthetic oil commercial years ago where they put Syn and conventional in frying pans and of course the conventional burned, and the synth didn't. I think then they put both in the freezer...

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
There was a Synthetic oil commercial years ago where they put Syn and conventional in frying pans and of course the conventional burned, and the synth didn't. I think then they put both in the freezer...

I think it is this one - Mobil1 versus Conventional

During Ford's testing of generic turbochargers, maximum temps of 950C (1,740F) were encountered at the central bearings. Coking was common in those early devices. That led to the water cooling engineering of Ford's Ecoboost 'chargers.

^^^The above poster seems to imply Ford developed water cooled turbos.

That is most definitely NOT true.

IMO Ecoboost is a shallow marketing gimmick. We have now had 3 EB vehicles in our immediate family and not one has averaged more than 17-18 mpg in real world urban driving.

My Chrysler does 17!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
IMO Ecoboost is a shallow marketing gimmick. We have now had 3 EB vehicles in our immediate family and not one has averaged more than 17-18 mpg in real world urban driving.

Interesting; back in March of 2011, I had an F-150 Ecoboost as a loaner and I managed 24MPG unloaded and driving conservatively. It became a "contest" to see how high I could go and I think I could have hit 26 if I had enough time with it.

I do think if it is driven with spirit (which is hard not to do) that MPG will suffer.

Originally Posted By: SXE10
What about going through a turbo? How hot would that get?

Probably several thousand degrees. It's not hard to make them glow, and melting points can be near 5000 degrees for some of the metals used.
Then again some use metals that can't even get above like 500 so it might be unrealistic still.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Interesting; back in March of 2011, I had an F-150 Ecoboost as a loaner and I managed 24MPG unloaded and driving conservatively. It became a "contest" to see how high I could go and I think I could have hit 26 if I had enough time with it.

I do think if it is driven with spirit (which is hard not to do) that MPG will suffer.

If I'd have had it, would have been trying to see how much rubber I could remove from the rear tires....

Originally Posted By: TFB1
If I'd have had it, would have been trying to see how much rubber I could remove from the rear tires....

Considered that, but it will be someone's truck one day and I did not want to be the kind of person that we post about here on BITOG
thumbsup2.gif

There are isolated hot spots in an engine. Oil temp right in the bearings can skyrocket. 75 deg F more than the sump temps is average.
Oil from a turbo can be even hotter.

The standard reference is the oil pan temps.
This gives us a meaningful averge and something to compare other engines with.

That 400c must mean 400F, BTW.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Did anyone notice the Xenum WRX 7.5W-40? Is a 7.5W even legit?

Not technically. There is a specific cold flow/pumping/cranking test specified for 5W-XX and 10W-XX grades. There isn't one for 7.5W-XX.

^^^The above poster seems to imply Ford developed water cooled turbos.

That is most definitely NOT true.

My Chrysler does 17!

Consistently 30 mpg driving like a hooligan. I could get 36 if I was a grandmother... but my turbo isn't an ecoboost, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back