Good OBDII Scan Tool for the DIY-er?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking around for awhile now for a good OBDII scan tool at a good price for using on my cars. I didn't want a cheapo one with a few options, but one that had a lot of features and would last a long time. This one is coming up on sale this week and its 100$ off. INNOVA ... a decent brand?

Scan Tool Link

Last edited:
I use the OTC 3109, at home (and some times at work).

It has live data, reads freeze frames and OEM specific codes for some models. EOBD and CANOBD, is also covered. Tri-lingual, if you care for french being in canada. It is probably on par with the Innova 3100.

I have the innova 3160 (that link is to an innova 3130) and it also shows live data, ABS/airbag codes, and some other stuff.

I looked on amazon.ca and they only show the 3130. Huh? Maybe it's the French language?

Innova’s 3100 series of code scanners are well built and function well, but the 3130, which is the one you’ve linked to, will not work on OBDI vehicles, so it’s usage is limited, as there are still a lot of OBDI cars on the road. I have the Innova 3140, which handles OBDI and OBDII, and I’m happy with it. It has a good readable screen, day and night, it handles well and has some heft to it, which I like. Neither the 3130 or the 3140 can handle ABS or SRS, but issues with those two systems, that require a scanner that can read those codes, are thankfully rare.

However, not being able to read OBDI is a deal breaker for me. 1995 and older is OBDI, 1996 and newer is OBDII.

For comparison purposes here is a link to the Amazon page.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_6?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=innova+3130&sprefix=innova%2Cautomotive%2C334

For the small difference in price I like the 3140.

Keith

Last edited:
[censored] please, this is my scan tool:
55312HPIM0559a-large.JPG

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Innova’s 3100 series of code scanners are well built and function well, but the 3130, which is the one you’ve linked to, will not work on OBDI vehicles, so it’s usage is limited, as there are still a lot of OBDI cars on the road. I have the Innova 3140, which handles OBDI and OBDII, and I’m happy with it. It has a good readable screen, day and night, it handles well and has some heft to it, which I like. Neither the 3130 or the 3140 can handle ABS or SRS, but issues with those two systems, that require a scanner that can read those codes, are thankfully rare.

However, not being able to read OBDI is a deal breaker for me. 1995 and older is OBDI, 1996 and newer is OBDII.

For comparison purposes here is a link to the Amazon page.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_6?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=innova+3130&sprefix=innova%2Cautomotive%2C334

For the small difference in price I like the 3140.

Keith

I have no need for OBDI compatibility. The only vehicle I still own that is older than 95 is my Accord which has its own type of on board honda diagnostic system for the engine and tranny. I just want something for my OBDII vehicles that I could use for years to come. The main features I'm looking for are live data stream and transmission codes.

LeakySeals, Thanks for posting the Ultra Guage link. I almost bought a Scan Gage more than once but balked at the $170 price and the small display. The Ultra Guage looks great for the money.

Keith

Very few consumer grade scanner are going to give you transmission codes. Unless you really need something which is built like a tank, you can save lots of money and get far far better ability by purchasing something like a Torque and BT adapter for your Android phone or tablet.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Very few consumer grade scanner are going to give you transmission codes. Unless you really need something which is built like a tank, you can save lots of money and get far far better ability by purchasing something like a Torque and BT adapter for your Android phone or tablet.

Yes, this is what I have. Cheap and has that "fun to play with" factor. The ultra gauge is pretty cool too.

Ulta Gauge is great but it stays with a specific car. It is really NOT designed to be a standalone scan tool.

The last BT adapter I purchased cost me under $15 shipped!

Does the Ultra Guage support data logging? I need to datalog to be able to tune with my wideband on my turbo PT and that would have other uses as well.

Ulta Gauge is great but it stays with a specific car. It is really NOT designed to be a standalone scan tool.

The last BT adapter I purchased cost me under $15 shipped!

It plugs into any OBD II port. The custom gauges may be different, but access to the codes is the same. Now that my work peers know I have it, I'm the code guy.
shocked.gif
Free lunch is the fee.

No data logging on UltraGauge.

I know it references some data logged on the ECU. I prefer that data for accuracy. But I agree for a hyper miler it may not be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back